Chapter 106

An hour later, and the birds circled back to them, all three shaking their heads, indicating that none had seen the five nifflers picking up anything that looked to be a Resurrection Stone.

"Well we waited about fifty minutes longer than we planned to, so shall we call it a night and try again in a few days after the little buggers have had time to truly dig deep," Rabastan asked.

Regulus's lips twitched, and he nodded.

"Wisely stated, Mr. Lestrange," Albus said, giving Rabastan an amused look.

It must be odd for the old headmaster to see Rabastan as a person rather than a thug ready to torture someone,Regulus mused. Then again Albus had seen Rabastan as a student as well and the headmaster was ever astonishingly astute more so than most others.

He saw all the facets of a person, so he could see that Rabastan was a multi dimensionally layered person just as the other two Lestranges were. Perhaps Regulus was one of the few to steadily support the Lestranges no matter what, but they were his family. Family should always be loyal, and they'd always stuck by him. Not to mention, in spite of their admittedly rough edges, all three were truly brilliant wizards.

Just to test it out, Regulus activated his retrieval charm and all the nifflers were suddenly at his feet looking quite confused. Murmuring an apology, he quickly bent to check their pouches. Moving with vampiric speed so as to disrupt them as little as possible, he was done in nearly a flash.

Four only had the coin he'd given them thus far and the fifth had found a rusted pocket knife that, after a quick check, proved to have no magical attributes. With a shrug, he returned the dull blade to the niffler...in case it ran into anything nasty in the forest, he thought with a slight smile.

Everyone agreed to meet up in two days, same place and time, before apparating away to their respective homes. As he entered 12 Grimmauld with Kreacher, Kereston and Reynaldo, Regulus found his mind turning back to the odd interplay between Gellert, Millicent and Kereston.

"You and Millicent have a strange relationship with Grindelwald," he told the little blonde with a side long look in her direction.

Kereston chuckled, shrugging.

I suppose we're a bit like siblings at times."

Regulus glanced away, admittedly uncomfortable at the thought of sibling interactions.

"My interactions with my git of a brother were never normal so I am afraid I can't relate."

Sirius had always been such a prat, it never occurred to him to wonder how it was with others, though he knew most siblings did not dislike one another. Some were even close like the Lestrange brothers.

"I think Gellert will be five forever, though," Kereston said with a laugh and a bit of an exasperated eye roll.

"He's brilliant, but can be so immature at times."

Her eyes softened.

"He's a good person, though and fiercely loyal."

Regulus nodded, mind returning to his earlier thoughts of family loyalty.

"That, I can always appreciate."

When everyone reconvened in the forest two evenings later, Regulus used his charm on the coins to summon the nifflers. He felt an eager thrill as he carefully searched each pouch, because there was a distinct possibility that one would hold the actual Resurrection Stone. A few had found rather pretty shiny pebbles, one pink and one green and even a black one, but Albus confirmed what Regulus already knew. None were the Resurrection Stone or even a magical stone at all.