Chapter 138

"So where do we do this," Regulus asked, ready to have it over with now that all was properly explained to the healers.

"We can do it here. We brought anything we may need, and our current infirmary is too small for you to be comfortable there," Gara said.

Her twin shot her a look.

"Current?"

She shrugged.

"Well if we make it a habit, this working on special humans that Griphook doesn't hate for lots of gold, we may need to upgrade to a bigger one."

Grub nodded.

"That's a thought."

"Here...as in right here or will you want a bed or something," Regulus asked, feeling a bit awkward at the sudden realization of precisely how unconventional this was about to get.

Grub shrugged.

"I mean we aren't going to stretch you out on the floor, but the sofa should do fine."

"Indeed, if we're opening you up, we won't want you on the floor. It seems crass to risk getting blood on your carpet," Gara agreed.

"I hope you aren't charging for your bedside manner," Regulus said, lips twitching as he rose from the love seat on which he and Kreacher had been sitting to approach the sofa. The three occupying Lestranges rose from it and stood to either side looking mildly uncomfortable. That made four of them, Regulus thought, almost amused at the overly unique situation.

"We're just going to do it right here," Bellatrix asked and Gara shook her head.

"No. You aren't going to do anything. Leave it all to us."

Bella glared.

"You know what I meant."

Regulus sat nervously on the sofa and glanced down at the dark green dress robe he wore.

"I'll have to get undressed then?"

"Yes," Gara said simply and with a sigh Regulus tugged the robe up over his head.

"Are you just going to cut him open," Bellatrix demanded.

The scowl she gave the goblin said that she was affronted by the very idea, but Regulus would be surprised, to say the least, if it didn't come to that.

"We are going to perform a magical scan first, but if it can't detect what we're looking for, yes, we will have to cut him open because we can't see through his bloody skin," Gara snapped.

"If we can detect what we seek with scanning charms, we will apparate the poison or toxins, if you will, directly from his system without opening him up. Honestly, though, I'd prefer to have a good look inside regardless just to be certain we got it all."

Which brought Regulus's mind back to the topic of the goblin healers admitted inexperience with vampires.

"How will I be put to sleep through this? Or if you can't do that, could you numb me at least, because I don't think I can be still even if I try very hard, with you cutting into me. I'm no expert, but even I know my involuntarily thrashing about won't help anything to say the least."

Gara nodded.

"Smart wizard, you are," she said, almost sincerely.

"We can definitely numb you, and as I doubt we can put you to sleep considering you respond to sunrise for that, we'll just make sure you don't feel a thing. Is this acceptable?"

Regulus nodded. Though going to sleep then waking to hear the verdict had its appeal, part of him wanted to be aware through the entire thing for reasons he couldn't even explain to himself.