Chapter 80

There was one more person who should be present, for the event to be perfect.

"Mortis," Regulus called and in a few seconds the black phoenix came coasting into the library like a dark cloud. He circled the room once as if taking stock of the situation, then landed on Regulus's shoulder.

Regulus watched as Kreacher followed Raislen down the long center isle of the library. It was then that it truly hit him that he was actually getting married...Well as married as he could get without it being technically legal. Of course he was the one to ask Kreacher, but it was nonetheless surreal that it was actually happening, right now! He'd have liked to give Kreacher better than a wedding in their home, but the elf hadn't been thrilled with his fancy Christmas gifts, and the last thing Regulus wanted was to make him feel uncomfortable. The fact Kreacher was pleased to own Orion's ring was a relief, because Regulus very much wanted to shower him with nice things. Perhaps starting slower than a huge wedding was wise, though.

When Kreacher reached his side, Raislen flicked his wand in an arch in the air ending with a flourish that very much resembled a musical note. As he did, he murmured a spell that caused the room to fill with the sound of the wedding march. Regulus wondered if the spell came from the old wedding scroll Raislen had brought along because the music had an old sound to it. The traditional organ carried the main part of the song but flutes and drums played supportive roles that tugged at some ancient instinct in Regulus that thrilled him. He and Kreacher had always believed that old magic was better after all.

As they faced one another down the long center isle of the library, Kreacher and Regulus's eyes met. The excited light in Kreacher's gaze as he swayed slightly to the ancient sound of the music made Regulus suddenly very happy he'd asked Raislen to do this for him. Raislen was the go to Slytherin for rare books and strange magic for sure, but Regulus hadn't expected any of that today. Today he was just counting on Raislen's general good nature to do a friend a favor, but he'd gone above and beyond and without leaving out the rare strange magic.

Suddenly getting married at home, in a library no longer seemed underrated. Instead it felt brilliant and perfect. This was magical and even fated as silly as that may sound.

The wedding nerves didn't hit Regulus until Dora put a hand on his arm.

"Let's go," she hissed urgently into his ear.

Yes, he had to walk...To join Kreacher and Raislen with Dora. Only his knees were suddenly so weak that when he took his first step forward, they wobbled. Clutching Dora's arm he allowed her to draw him forward.

"It's fine," she murmured soothingly.

"You'll do wonderfully."

Gods he hoped so! He hoped he'd be able to make Kreacher happy and not ruin things again.

As they proceeded down the isle, Regulus kept his eyes on Kreacher who watched him approach almost shyly. The open raw love in the elf's gaze settled Regulus's nervousness like a soothing balm. By the time Dora and he reached Raislen and Kreacher, Regulus was nearly relaxed.

Raislen swept his wand through the air again and the wedding march came to a close. Its final note was played on a flute, and echoed through the large high ceiling room for a few seconds. Not until it faded completely did Raislen speak.

"We are gathered here today to join these two in holy matrimony. We ask that their union be blessed by the gods, for if a love ever deserves to be celebrated, it is this one. These two have gone through more pain than most see in a lifetime to be together.

At that, Regulus drew in a slow careful breath, struggling not to grow emotional over the past, because now wasn't the time. He was touched by what Raislen had said and appreciated the recognition of what he and Kreacher had suffered. They were celebrating today, though, and in spite of all they'd suffered they were here to do that. That was how Raislen intended his words and Regulus would take them as intended without allowing memories of the past to drag him down into despair.