Chapter 48

Regulus and Kreacher arrived at Wolfgang's a little before seven in the evening Wednesday. Both were rather excited to work with Grindelwald more and through doing so, to actually get to know what the blonde wizard was truly about. Regulus had always been fascinated by what he'd read of Grindelwald's abilities and accomplishments. The opportunity to know the real man behind such a giant legend among dark wizards was rather exciting. For his part, Kreacher was just generally curious.

One may think neither would be interested in a wizard like Grindelwald after their shared experience with Voldemort, but it was obvious to both that Grindelwald and Voldemort were truly nothing alike. Where Voldemort insisted on leading, Grindelwald would lead, but obviously could work with others as well which was reassuring. Regulus was almost certain he could be trusted. The man's mental shields had been strong those times Regulus encountered him at Hogwarts, but he planned to pick his brain tonight until he got a better look.

Not because he did not respect the privacy of others, but because after what he'd experienced, he could not trust until he was certain that a person was who they claimed to be. Once he saw that they were, he stayed the hell out of their head as it was the proper and polite thing to do. He'd looked into Mag that first night, but the next time she and Severus came to visit, he would not do that again. He'd gotten the information he wanted, and he knew she could be trusted and that she was who she claimed to be.

If it turned out that somehow Grindelwald was not, he would handle it far more carefully than they had with Voldemort. He would tell far more than four other people and they would plan things out far more carefully. Perhaps they would simply blow up the bloody building the man was in rather than fight him face to face...Which would mean they would have to get Grindelwald into a building alone. That was already getting complicated, so Regulus just hoped the blonde was on the up and up. He was a skilled wizard, after all, and probably not much easier to kill than Voldemort, what with the taking on forty Aurors and winning.

When Adler opened the door, he smiled warmly, genuinely pleased to see Regulus and Kreacher.

"Come in. We're having tea in the library."

Bookish wizards like Regulus tended to prefer the library over the parlor for entertaining those of like minds. This made Regulus smile because nothing could make him feel more at home than a library.

"All your packages are here," Millicent told Regulus as soon as they entered the room.

"I left everything in the boxes they were shipped in, so like nothing is...visible," she added, giving Kreacher a meaningful look.

Kreacher shot a perplexed frown at Regulus. Regulus put a hand on Kreacher's shoulder and grinned. "I promise you will know when it is time."

Kreacher's frown deepened. "It is about whatever Master Regulus refused to speak of to Kreacher the last time we were here?"

Regulus nodded. Kreacher had already asked about that three times over the past five days, and Regulus kept insisting that the time wasn't right yet.

"Let's go sit there," Regulus said, nodding to a sofa near the fire in hopes of distracting Kreacher. Kreacher acquiesced, but the fretful frown on his face clearly said that his thoughts were still on the secret Regulus kept from him.

"Thank you so much, Millicent," Regulus said, smiling at the tall dark haired young woman. "Please tell Kreacher that I am doing nothing that should worry him," he implored.

Millicent grinned at Kreacher. "Really it's all good," she assured. "Why don't you have a cup of tea. It's spiced apple today, all festive and shit."

Kreacher gave Millicent a shy smile. "Kreacher would like that."