Chapter 37

"So Harry Potter is still a student, yet a prophecy claims he is the one to put an end to the Dark Lord," Regulus asked, once the door had closed behind Severus.

Albus nodded, expression grave as his eyes met Regulus's own. "I am afraid so. As such, I must ask you not to do anything rash in a need for revenge, even if that need is justified. I believe anyone else who tries to take Voldemort out will fail because Mr. Potter is supposed to succeed. Prophecies are tricky that way. They weave the right circumstances around themselves to ensure they come to pass, even if in the most unlikely of ways."

"While I can't claim to precisely understand how all that works, I assure you that I shall not be making an attempt on the Dark Lord's life," Regulus said. "I watched my father die and my cousin and the Lestranges have their minds twisted the last time we tried that. I always planned to leave it to someone more qualified and prepared. To learn that this is apparently a boy in whom the likes of Kreacher and Severus have very little confidence does concern me a bit, however," he admitted.

"That is the funny thing with prophecies," Albus said with a twinkle in his blue eyes that suddenly served to lighten the moment. "They work with what they have in ways one could never imagine. Sit back and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised. And in the mean time, help me to make Mr. Potter the most protected on all fronts that he can be."

Regulus nodded. "Of course. When would you like me to begin?"

"At the start of term," Albus said. "Once Harry has returned to Hogwarts, I would like you to come to this office at least three nights a week. Severus will make sure that Harry meets you here."

"Severus? What about you," Regulus asked, confused.

"Oh I am dead, so that won't be possible," Albus said, then chuckled at the shocked look on Regulus's face. "Well as far as most people are aware, that is," he hastily corrected himself. "I will actually be at Durmstrang, teaching Transfiguration."

"I really don't follow the news, and it appears I should probably start, because a lot is happening in the wizarding world of late," Regulus said.

"Kreacher stopped getting the paper after Mistress died," the elf murmured. "He can order a new subscription, though, for Master Regulus if he would like."

Albus shook his head. "I wouldn't recommend it. For the same reason that while beginning Harry's lessons even before term starts would've been preferable, we can't risk it. If we were to begin sooner, the change may attract Voldemort's notice and we can't have that. That is also why Harry cannot know that I still live, so when you meet him, I must ask both of you to keep your minds securely shut tight on that matter."

Kreacher and Regulus both nodded. "Do you think the Dark Lord is spying on Harry Potter, then," Regulus asked, openly intrigued.

"I am quite certain of it," Albus said. "Voldemort and Mr. Potter have a link."

As Regulus and Kreacher listened, Albus explained how Lily Potter had saved Harry with her last breath. "Sacrificing your own life to save another, when the love motivating that sacrifice is so pure and intense, provides powerful protection," Albus said.

"Powerful enough to withstand the killing curse and have it rebounding onto Voldemort instead. Harry has a lightning bolt scar on his forehead, the only sign of that magical exchange. It also serves as a link to Voldemort, though, connecting them in a way that can be quite dangerous."

There were a lot of fascinating magical implications there, Regulus thought, exchanging a look with Kreacher. This provided plenty of fodder for their usual magical theory talks when he and Kreacher had a bit of down time.