Chapter 142

There were a few experiences in life that could be compared to none other. Falling in love, feeling you were about to die, and becoming a parent. Regulus and Kreacher had both experienced the first two, yet were somehow still unprepared for the awe inspiring terror of the third. They spent the next several months stocking up on pink and blue baby clothes as well as anything else two children may need for their first several years of life. Though it may seem odd to some that they bought as many toys, various clothing sizes and items of furniture required for growing children so far in advance, they had a very good reason. It saved them the trouble of shopping with small children in tow later.

When Gergana reached her ninth month, Kreacher and Regulus truly felt the nervousness kick in. . .happen! When the children arrived their lives would change forever.

"Surely even in ways we can't imagine," Regulus said.

He was trying not to panic. They sat by the fire together in the library just after midnight.

Gergana was on the first week of her ninth month. The children had made it this far, so it was looking more than likely that all would be well. As the glee over this rose for Kreacher and Regulus, also rose the terror, though admittedly Kreacher was doing a far better job of hiding it. Regulus showed his terror with dignity and subtlety, frowning and fretting over it at any spare moment. He couldn't help it. His mind just kept returning to the high mental precipice of unknowns.

"We should've asked the parents about that, you know."

"About...which bit," Kreacher asked, blinking slowly as he struggled to follow.

Usually he followed the track of Regulus's mind effortlessly, but these days, being caught up in his own concerns, it was a bit more tricky to follow when Regulus jumped from one thing to another.

"We should've asked Mum and Father how their lives changed when they had children. Precisely in which areas, and how they kept things balanced...you know," Regulus clarified.

Kreacher slowly blinked again.

"Our lives are not their lives, so likely enough of the changes we encounter shall be different," he observed and Regulus sighed, nodding.

"Of course, you are right. I must sound quite the fool...I feel quite the fool."

Kreacher shook his head, reaching to cover Regulus's hand with his own.

"Oh never that," he assured.

Regulus gave a nervous laugh.

While it sounded odd to Kreacher's ears, it also mirrored his own unique feeling of nervousness. When the children were born, and the two got their parenting feet wet as it were, he was certain the nervousness would fade quickly. The wonder of the children and watching them grow would provide a new and exciting adventure for them.

"That is a relief, as a fool makes for a poor father," Regulus said.

"It isn't about not making mistakes, though of course as parents we do not wish to make mistakes, which is only natural," Kreacher murmured, speaking his thoughts aloud as he always did with Regulus, just as Regulus always did with him.

Regulus turned his hand over to twine his fingers with Kreacher's as he gave a slightly distracted nod of understanding.

"Father feels his decision that we all kill Voldemort was a foolish one, a mistake if you will, but at the time it made sense. It needed to be done, no matter that we failed to do it due to our lack of knowledge when it came to Horcruxes."

He sighed.

"It's natural to shun that which we find to be abhorrent, but if we studied it more, we could be ready for...for things like Voldemort. I speak of WE as a general statement to encompass wizards in general."