Chapter 107

It was just after 11 p.m. Regulus stood with wand aloft. Letters that spelled out Ariana in a softly glowing green extended from its tip, providing a bright spot of verbal color that he hoped would gain the Necromancer's attention. Regulus had also layered a charm of nondetect over this that he'd learned from Orion as a mere boy to prevent Muggles from seeing the letters that now hung above them in the air. Kreacher looked this way and that, straining slightly up on his toes as the two waited just outside King's Cross. Passengers were unboarding from the only train that had come into the station, so their Necromancer had to be on board.

"I don't know what you're looking so hard for," Regulus complained, a slight twitch of amusement tugging at the corners of his mouth at Kreacher's enthusiastic antics.

"It isn't as if we know what she looks like."

"Yes, but Kreacher would see someone who appears to be looking for us, he should think. She could also have a sign of her own."

"Good point," Regulus admitted.

It was less than a minute later when a red head approached with several large trunks floating ahead of her. She was youngish and slender, pretty enough Regulus supposed, though he'd always only ever noticed such things in a distant and removed sort of way. She wore a black travel cloak and under it a long black dress. Fitting for a necromancer, Regulus couldn't help thinking, though he'd never exactly seen a necromancer before.

"I'm Ariana," she said, smiling a greeting as she lifted her hand in a little wave.

She seemed a mix of almost sweetly shy and happy to see them. Her accent was German, but she spoke English clearly.

"Ah. Good then," Regulus said, allowing the letters to wink out as he lowered his wand.

"I am Regulus and this is my partner Kreacher."

Ariana smiled warmly.

"It is good to meet you both. I had three ghosts looking out for you before the train even finished unboarding, so I knew you were waiting for me with a sign in advance. That was very thoughtful of you."

She sighed, shaking her head of shoulder length curls with an embarrassed shrug.

"I am afraid I have been so anxious about finding my father that I didn't give a thought to how you would know who I was," she admitted with a chuckle.

"It's a good thing the two of you had it covered, as they say. My only plan was eavesdropping ghosts! That sometimes works and other times not as well."

"So ghosts make good spies," Kreacher wondered and she nodded.

"When you find those who are bored enough and have a good enough attention span, but that isn't always the case, so the method is in no way fool proof. Many earth bound spirits are confused, upset or outright hostile and unpleasant, and those are the ones I have the most and quickest access to."

"Confused and angry or earth bound," Kreacher asked and Ariana chuckled.

"Sorry. I should've been more clear. The earth bound, thank goodness! Some are bored and fortunately mentally stable and as such eager to help."

"Have you somewhere to stay," Regulus asked, and Ariana shrugged.

"I have heard of the Three Broom Sticks. I suppose I could stay there, if my father won't want me with him...Then again it is late, I probably shouldn't disturb him at this time of night."

Her nervousness was telling. As she spoke, her slender hands twisted at the velvet like material of her heavy black skirt.

"First, perhaps we should start with his name. That will tell us if Kreacher and I even know who he is as if we don't, we shall need more time to track him down anyway. We can help you to get settled at the Three Broomsticks, or if you wish you may stay at our manor with us. We are glad to extend our hospitality, but if you are uncomfortable staying with strangers, of course we understand. There shall be another lady in the house with you, though, if knowing that puts you more at ease. A young Ministry worker who is a good friend of Kreacher's. As he shall eventually join me in vampirism, she will be there to help us out during the day with anything we are unable to handle."