Chapter 31

Chapter 31: Friends And Lovers

"I brought you something to wear if you'd like it, Kreacher," Dora said as she reentered the room. "I thought you may be more comfortable..." She extended a small pile of clothing toward the sofa where Kreacher and Regulus were curled together with Kreacher's head on Regulus's shoulder. The two had finished...comforting one another and just snuggled staring at the television. They were dressed once again and properly composed as if they'd been completely well behaved the entire time. At that moment, neither wished to break the silence with anything that could cause more sadness, but Dora's presence served to lighten the mood. "I wasn't sure where we'd be going and thought you may like a bit more cover," she added, nodding to Kreacher's tattered elf sack. A bit of red crept into her cheeks as she continued, "I never saw you dressed in such a way in Regulus's mind. Your tunic was thicker and longer and...newer. I just meant to help."

Kreacher sat up and reached with a shy hesitance for the pile of clothes. "Dora saw Kreacher often in Master Regulus's mind," he asked, looking pleased.

Dora nodded. "I tried not to look, but at times, at his most miserable, he tended to project, especially when he was playing the guitar and singing. When I say at times, I mean daily," she added, lips twitching ever so slightly.

"Kreacher wishes he had been there with Master Regulus, then neither of us would have had to be sad," the elf lamented, tone mildly resentful, but he did not look at Regulus as he spoke. Instead his gaze rested on the small pile of gray clothes in his arms. Regulus straightened to see what Dora had brought. Kreacher ran his fingers over a soft cardigan that looked to be made of gray wool.

"It looks as if it would go well past your knees," Dora said. "And there are some tall socks to match to keep your feet from being hurt if we're walking somewhere."

"That was very kind of you, Dora," Regulus said, giving his maker a warm smile. His heart swelled with appreciation for her consideration of his Kreacher.

"It's not a problem. I have tons of clothes. You may keep it if it serves, Kreacher," she added to the elf. "I thought the color would suit you and I didn't have anything black that didn't look too girlie."

Kreacher looked up from his careful examination of the socks with an amused smile that only lasted a moment before his face became serious once more. "Indeed, Kreacher appreciates not looking like a girl. He is afraid he let himself go when Master Regulus was gone. He cared nothing for fashion and when his mistress died, he had even less reason to care for steady meals or proper clothing," he admitted.

"I'm sure you can work a quick shrinking charm on the sleeves and make it fit you perfectly," Regulus said of the cardigan. "Dora is right. That color will suit you nicely."

Kreacher nodded. "Kreacher can adjust the socks as well. It shall only take him a moment. Does Dora have a room where he might change into the new clothes?"

"I'll show you to a bathroom," Regulus said, rising from the sofa. "There's one right beside my bedroom. You can use that one to change." He turned to Dora. "Keep that bag packed in case we have to leave in a hurry, but it won't be today after all. Kreacher has completely caught me up on everything I've missed and now I feel that at this point it may be a bit tricky for me to return home. I think we should all remain here for now until I see what's happening. As it's gotten rather late, I think I shall put off seeing Dumbledore until tomorrow. As soon as I do, Kreacher and I shall return here and let you know what's going on and where we are going."

Dora gave him a look of open suspicion. "You're not trying to leave me, are you? Because as your maker we have a blood link as you know, and I will be able to find you. Keep in mind that the longer it takes me to do so, the more vexed I shall be when I do track you down. I don't exactly trust you to be on your own without getting killed yet after your track record."