Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Pandora

Regulus's sixth, and for him, final year of school would be over in three days. After that, Bellatrix and Rodolphus planned to present him to the Dark Lord. The prospect filled him with exulted anticipation but also anxiety far greater than he felt about any upcoming exam. He took to walking the streets of Hogsmeade just for something to do and because he needed to move. Being still didn't match his racing thoughts and the thoughts slowed their clamoring if his body didn't remain static.

"So...magic." Regulus turned at the sound of the voice. A lovely woman who seemed to appear out of nowhere, walked at his side. She wore a long dark brown swayed skirt, a cream silk top and knee high flat boots that matched her skirt and also the chocolate brown of her straight waist length hair. She was of average height and slender. Her eyes were deep and liquid, holding a studied intelligence. Her age was difficult to determine, but Regulus guessed her to be in her early thirties though her skin was entirely unlined. The words that immediately came to mind at sight of her were soft and flowing.

"It comes in handy," he told her with an amused grin.

"I met a vampire last week in Rome who claimed it was real. I didn't believe him of course so he brought me here. Is this some sort of joke?"

"You met a vampire...SO you're a...Muggle," Regulus asked carefully, the shock evident on his face. A muggle in Hogsmeade was no good, and were a witch to arrive with a vampire, she would obviously be well aware of magic.

She shook her head, the gesture smooth and elegant. "I'm a vampire. Actually I don't know if I'm a Muggle or not, because I don't know what a Muggle is. It sounds as if it should be a cute little furry creature, though, and I'm not one of those."

Regulus laughed softly, finding himself enjoying this rather interesting and pleasant distraction. "No. A muggle is someone without magic. You're a vampire yet you've never heard of magic? How old are you, then?"

She frowned slightly. "Didn't you know it's rude to ask a lady her age?"

"I thought it hardly mattered with vampires," Regulus said, slightly embarrassed. "I apologize."

It was her turn to laugh softly. "I was teasing...mostly...I became a vampire when I was thirty five...that was over two thousand years ago, though."

Regulus was impressed. "That's something!"

She smiled in appreciation."How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"And you are a magic user?"

"A wizard, yes."

Her eyes lit with eagerness. "Show me magic," she demanded.

"What would you like to see?"

"Anything!"

"I'll levitate you into the air if you promise not to see it as any sort of attack and tear my throat out or anything," Regulus said after a moment of thought.

She frowned in disappointment. "I can already fly so I'd prefer something else if you can manage it."

Regulus scowled. If he could manage it? Did she doubt his capabilities because of his age? "I can manage a bloody lot." He stopped walking and turned to a shrub that happened to be growing beside them.

"I will transfigure that into a giant crystal ball. How is that?"

She nodded. "But will it be real or only an illusion."

"Basically real," he replied after a slight hesitation as his mind played over the particulars. Of course it wouldn't be literal crystal, being made of shrub molecules, but Transfiguration was no illusion. She'd be able to see into it like quartz that ran as clear as water and unlike a shrub it would be cold and glassy to the touch, so real enough for her. She watched in awe as the shrub became a waist high clear orb of gleaming crystal. Moving forward she gently touched it with her fingertips then gave a laugh of delight, clapping slender hands.