Chapter 103

At the sound of the door chime, Regulus leapt to his feet.

"I'll get it," he told Kreacher firmly, because the elf was rising as well.

"I'm quite capable of opening the bloody door," he added with a twitch of his lips to Kreacher's slight frown.

"You own half of the bloody manor. You shouldn't always have to do everything."

He stalked out before Kreacher could reply, but to his immense gratification, he heard Gellert speaking as he headed down the hall.

"Sounds fair," the German said cheerfully and Regulus truly appreciated the support.

"Kreacher supposes," the elf muttered.

By then, Regulus was far enough away that he wouldn't have heard more without sharpened vampiric senses. As it was, though, he could clearly hear the conversation unfolding in the library as he approached the front door.

"You own half of this place now," Severus asked Kreacher, obvious surprise in his tone.

"Kreacher does," the elf confirmed.

"Well...I suppose that makes sense, considering how many undesirables you've had to put up with in the place while Regulus was...away," Severus said.

"Owning the place ensures you can now simply throw anyone out who enters that you do not wish to be here."

"I'm sure a bit of security must be nice."

At that point, Regulus arrived at the door, so could afford to listen no more. It was pleasant to see that no one behaved as if Kreacher shouldn't own half of the family home, though.

As if on cue, it was the three Lestranges who'd arrived. Regulus was relieved that it wasn't one of the other guests, for if it had been, the rest in the library would've surely had time to object to what he'd just said regarding the Lestranges. But as they were now present that wouldn't happen...he hoped.

"What is this about anyway," Bellatrix asked as Regulus led the three Lestranges toward the library after a brief greeting.

"You look worried."

He could hear the frown in her voice without turning to look.

"I am, and you'll see soon. It doesn't involve anyone's personal safety, so don't be alarmed," he attempted to soothe.

"It is merely a matter of concern on which I sought to bring together the best and brightest wizarding minds I know."

Rodolphus gave a low chuckle.

"Flattery will get you everywhere, little cousin!"

At least for today, Regulus certainly hoped so.

When they entered the library, Regulus could feel the shock of the Lestranges even before he turned to regard their faces. It wasn't as if they were particularly friendly with anyone in the room except perhaps Grindelwald.

"As soon as Wolfgang and Albus arrive we can begin," Regulus said and Bellatrix choked.

"Really, Regi? You think Dumbledore is going to be fine with the idea that we're free? Have you lost your bloody mind?"

Gellert arched his brows.

"I was more perplexed over the fact he thought any Dumbledore would have something useful to offer," he said.

"Nice to see all of you again, I'm sure."

He gave the Lestranges a lazy smile, nearly like that of Zabini.

Idly Regulus found himself wondering if he and Kreacher had come to share any of the same mannerisms from being together so long.

"Is Albus going to be comfortable among so many dark wizards and witches," Heather WestCraven wondered, a small amused smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.