Chapter 129

The very next evening, Kreacher and Regulus were surprised by a visit from the Lestranges. They had an elf with them. He wore a loose black garment, toga style, and looked nervous.

"The Rosier elves don't have a placement for their youngest child, so he's in the running for the four elves you wanted, Kreacher," Bellatrix said.

"They're going away for the next month, though, so they wanted you to meet Piper and see if you want him before they leave. I'm still bringing the other five next week, though."

Kreacher studied the elf, who stared back at him, with a growing look of shock and confusion on his face.

"Piper shall be taking orders from Kreacher. Does he understand," Kreacher demanded and Piper blinked.

"He...Is trying to understand. He is not taking orders from this wizard?"

He nodded toward Regulus.

Kreacher shook his head.

"Not unless Master Regulus requires something specific such as tea being prepared for guests or some such, but normally Piper's orders shall come from Kreacher himself."

Piper blinked, obviously struggling to take this in. Regulus could see the curiosity on the elf's face, that he wanted very much to ask why, but he did not.

"Very well," Piper said rather than asking any of the questions in his eyes.

Kreacher smiled.

"Good. Piper is a good elf, and not a stupid elf. Kreacher can see as much in his eyes, so he accepts Piper into 12 Grimmauld Place."

It was clear from Piper's pensive expression that he couldn't decide if this was a good or a bad thing.

Still smiling, Kreacher turned to the Lestranges.

"Kreacher thanks Bella, Rod and Rabastan. If they would like to come in for a drink, Kreacher can begin Piper's training, and he may serve them."

"Sure," Rod said.

"It's been a long day and we're tired."

"Lots of sneaking into government buildings and hiding in small spaces," Rabastan complained.

"Ask me, we don't get paid enough for this shit."

"We'll meet you in the library then," Regulus told Kreacher. Kreacher nodded and Regulus bent to kiss his cheek before leading the Lestranges inside.

Piper's eyes went wide and Kreacher smiled happily.

"Kreacher has much to explain to Piper," he said, grasping the other elf's toga and practically dragging him along to the kitchen.

Piper was small and easily dragged even if Kreacher weren't a vampire with far more strength than any other elf.

"I wonder what Kreacher is telling that poor elf," Bellatrix said with a laugh as the four of them entered the library, joining Kereston and Reynaldo. Both were curled on the long sofa with books. The spider looked adorable holding a book in two of his eight legs, turning the pages carefully with a third.

"I bet you're the only spider in the fucking world who can read," Rabastan proclaimed.

"Probably so," Reynaldo murmured distractedly.

"Makes me cool."

Rabastan chuckled.

"That it fucking does."

Regulus listened politely while the Lestranges bitched about work, not envying them their job in the least. To some it may seem exciting, but Regulus was more one for research than spying or killing.