Chapter 150

All the children were in low spirits when Wulfric went off to Durmstrang, but they were kept busy with their own studies along with other general activities. At times Hydra and Loughness were tutored with Sortia, sometimes at the Snapes' and at others at #12 Grimmauld Place. There were also times when they'd study alone if the topics were either elf magic or of a nonmagical nature.

Like all well rounded children, they also had their extra curricular activities. Loughness was learning body building from Rod, and Hydra had expressed a strong interest in music, and in learning bardic techniques from Regulus. As Kreacher often said, starting young was the best way to excel at anything.

Regulus was pleased and proud that Hydra was drawn to the magic of music, but still wished both children were as interested as he felt they should be in their elf magic. After Stormy's assistance, their interest had improved, just not as much as Regulus and Kreacher would've preferred.

Being a parent was frustrating in ways Regulus had never seen coming. He felt it was his responsibility to ensure his children lived up to their potential, and when he was unable to make this happen, he felt he was short changing them. As a result, he felt lacking as a parent.

It wasn't that he disregarded their own wishes for what he wished for them, because he was perfectly willing for them to be whoever they wished to be. He simply wished for them to be whatever that was with their full potential in hand. Not being fully versed in both sides of their magic limited their potential.

This was an obvious fact to everyone but them. As he and Kreacher shared the same view, he decided to sound off to another parent on the matter for advice. He took the opportunity when Mag came over to work on some new songs one evening.

Mag assured him that eventually they'd grow out of their disinterest.

"They'll grow up and want more power," she assured.

"Yes, but what if it's more difficult for them to learn the longer they wait," Regulus fretted.

"Everyone learns best when they're younger."

"And they are learning some, so it isn't as if they'll be starting from scratch by the time they have the sense to be interested," she reminded him calmly.

"That's easy for you to say," he grumbled.

"Sortia does whatever you want.""

Mag shrugged slender shoulders, giving a slight unconcerned nod.

"Yes, but we don't ask that much."

"Indeed, but if she hated potions or longed to be a Hufflepuff, you'd be singing a different song," Regulus said.

"Probably so," Mag agreed. "And thank you for being kind enough not to say Gryffindor." She chuckled. "Singing, though...Are we going to get to that?"

Regulus ducked his head, giving her a sheepish smile. "Of course."

He found that escaping into music, stepping out of his parenting role for a bit, provided a much needed relief. They played in the library and eventually his parents drifted in to listen as they were wont to do. Mag nodded and smiled at them without missing a note as her bow slid along the fiddle strings.

Though he was extremely proud that they liked his music, Regulus found himself almost shy singing in front of them at times in spite of that. Perhaps this was because when they were alive, and things were...normal, he wasn't even aware that he had a gift for song. It seemed the old saying about the power of pain driving one to creative genius was true after all. Why couldn't happiness and contentment do that? Perhaps joy or contentment didn't require as much of an expressive outlet, at least not in that way.