Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Forbidden Knowledge

Before the three left, Rodolphus promised to get in touch as soon as he heard from his uncle whom he planned to write directly when he got home. When they left, Regulus and Kreacher lingered over another cup of tea while Regulus gave Kreacher every detail of his first Death Eater meeting. Kreacher listened with wide eyes, drinking in every word.

"The Dark Lord could truly change the world," he said, and Regulus nodded eagerly.

"Yes! And we shall be right there at his side helping and being a part of it...our entire family! My first assignment is even exciting! I can't wait to see what the Durmstrang library is like." Of course like any other dark wizarding male who resided in the United Kingdom, Regulus had lamented more than once...even more than one thousand times over being stuck in Hogwarts rather than attending Durmstrang. "You'll come with us of course," he told Kreacher, whose blue eyes lit with excitement at the prospect.

"Kreacher will help in any way he can, of course," the elf said.

Regulus nodded. "Your help might just be required if there are anticipation wards up like the ones at Hogwarts. For now though..." He leaned toward Kreacher, of a mind to trail his lips over his cheek to end on his mouth, but the elf hastily drew back.

"Master Regulus should know it isn't safe here," he hissed. "Haven't we been caught enough?"

"Hey! The closet at Bella's was your idea," Regulus huffed, mildly offended by his friend's reaction and lack of personal responsibility.

"Yes well, Kreacher learns from his mistakes and so should Master Regulus." The elf stood abruptly. "Kreacher is going to put away the tea things. If Master Regulus is still feeling social when he is finished, Kreacher could come to his room." The elf's mouth twitched slightly and Regulus's annoyed mood relented.

"I'm always feeling social when it comes to you. You know that. I'll see you soon." Disregarding the urge to bend and kiss Kreacher before departing, he turned his back and walked toward the stairs. Once in his room with the door left ajar he moved to the mirror. For several seconds he stood staring at his reflection. To his eyes he already looked older...more important somehow, because he was now staring at a Death Eater who had gotten his first orders. The feel of slender hands gliding around Regulus's waist caused him to shiver in anticipation. "Kreacher cannot blame Master Regulus for staring into the mirror. Kreacher very much likes to look at Master Regulus as well. So proud and beautiful," the elf murmured.

Regulus turned, eyes now only for his friend. "You...you look special. You look more powerful and important than other elves...and yes also beautiful. Your skin is so smooth and flawless, and there is true magic in the way that you move." Though he always enjoyed Kreacher's heart felt compliments, he very much wanted the elf to know how pleasing he was to look upon as well. The hawk like curve to Kreacher's nose made him more formidable and less...well cute as others of his kind were. That was good, because Regulus did not find cute to be in the least sexual, and Kreacher was anything but cute. His eyes were hard and intelligent, and he was a little taller than even the tallest elves Regulus had ever seen in the houses of other pure blood families. His voice was low, lacking the annoying high squeak that others of his kind had. He was certainly more intelligent than not only other elves, but also most of the wizards with whom Regulus dealt. "What makes you so different, do you think," he asked, hands moving to Kreacher's shoulders. Sighing the elf leaned into him, and they gave way to the conversation their bodies preferred to have.

The Lestranges along with Bellatrix arrived the next morning just after breakfast. "Well Uncle Maxime sent directions on how to get into the school via a back way, and a map to the library, so we've got something to work with," Rodolphus said as soon as Kreacher showed them into the dining room where Regulus and his parents were lingering over their morning tea. "I was thinking we'd try to get in tonight at midnight."