Chapter 99

As it happened, Millicent wasn't interested in having nightmares for the sake of magical experimentation anymore than Kereston was. Not for friendship or money. She suggested they place an advertisement in one of the wizarding newspapers, sure that there would be plenty of takers.

Though Blaise and Gellert liked to keep their work private, they decided to take her advice. The advertisement could be placed without disclosing what they wanted it for, after all. They decided to place the ad after the shop was open as their focus would be scattered until then. Kreacher thought this was a wise idea, as opening day was quite close as it was. With all the sleep pillows made, and the dream catcher put on hold until the shop was open, the elf dedicated most of his time to writing horror. The more he wrote, the more fun it was.

Seeing how many terrors he could craft with spell bindingly vivid descriptions, nearly became a playful game for him. In the evenings, he'd share the latest pages with Regulus and Kereston. Both were always properly impressed or amused or horrified, depending on the situation. Often he'd write forty pages a day, and by the time Blaise and Gellert announced the opening of their shop, called Enchanted Odds, Kreacher was nearly finished with his second full length horror novel.

It had been a little over a week since they'd completed the nap pillows when Blaise wrote Kreacher that they were having a pre-opening night before the formal opening of the shop. There would be snacks and drinks, and people would be able to shop as well as socialize and get to know one another.

This sort of socialized networking was not only good for promoting business, but allowed interesting and powerful wizards to make personal connections with one another as well. A business making itself helpful to the dark community in such a way became useful on a whole other level of which Kreacher approved. This pre-opening was for friends and favored guests to shop and have first dibs on items before the public had their turn. This would allow the shop to form connections with promising customers and those who would provide good word of mouth for others.

Kereston said she'd meet Kreacher and Regulus at Enchanted Odds as she planned to go directly from the Ministry. Kreacher was eager to see the finished product that was Blaise and Gellert's shop as was Regulus. Both dressed with care the evening of the pre-opening, Regulus in a green robe and Kreacher in a smart black and green striped tunic with a wide black belt. At last he found himself taking more of an interest in his own fashion. He was now a business elf, after all. He was working with powerful enchanters, contributing his skills and knowledge to shared projects with them, not to mention being a published author.

When they arrived at the shop it was already full. A few people Kreacher did not know, but most he had encountered at least once. Igor Karkaroff Jr. was present, Bera Karkaroff's younger brother. The Parvati girl who was a seer was present as well. Blaise and Gellert had hired her to work behind the counter so they could focus on their craft uninterrupted.

At present, she was cheerfully mixing drinks while Bramble, the Zabini elf carried snacks through the main shop into another room. Kereston was chatting with a young Spanish man that Kreacher didn't know, and there was a wraith like girl with long silver hair who drifted about like a happy ghost peering with eager interest at each item in turn. Kreacher was impressed by the general esthetic of the shop. Blaise and Gellert had done well.

Enchanted Odds perfectly merged classy with dark and intriguing. The walls were hung with large, tasteful tapestries in Slytherin green and silver as well as classic black and red. They were engraved with anything from protective runes served to keep their investments safe to scenes of flying witches, old castles, bubbling cauldrons, obscure creatures and of course the Deathly Hallows!

The building itself was a large sprawling one story with at least three rooms. The floors were basic stone, left uncarpeted, and the front of the shop was well stocked with tall ebony wood shelves full of the things Blaise and Gellert had made, consigned and found on their travels. The long red wood counter's glass top served as a case for glittering gemstone jewelry and wands that looked to have been crafted by Mag. Located right at the front as they were, they were on prominent display.

Four stools sat behind the counter, comfortably padded in black velvet with ornate brass backs. Blaise currently lounged on one, and Parvati came to join him, leaving the other two empty. Gellert and Bramble wandered about showing their guests whatever caught their interest.

"What's in the back," Kereston asked.
"It's our work space, so just some chairs and tables in the one room. Today it has the food spread. The bathroom is beside that. It even has a shower in case Gell and I want to go out on the town without going home to get ourselves ready after work. There's another room behind that one, though, and it has any items we may find or make that could be considered illegal by some. We'll only take the very special people into the back," Blaise said, tossing the small blonde an amused grin.

"Good, let's go back there right now then," Kereston said eagerly.
The bell on the door rang then, announcing the next group to enter. Mag and Severus came in with Wolfgang and Millicent. Kreacher and Regulus rushed to greet the group warmly, and it was then that Kereston finally noticed that they'd arrived. Kreacher did not blame her for being distracted by the shop, as it was quite the unique addition to Knockturn Alley.

"Hi," she called, rushing to hug Kreacher.
"We haven't gotten to hang out much this week what with Kreacher making things with you guys and writing," she explained to Blaise and Gellert.
"Blaise was just about to take us into the back where the food and illegal items are," she added excitedly.
Millicent laughed.
"Encouraging illegal items...You're going to make a wonderful Minister some day!"
"Thank you, Millicent," Kereston said dryly, rolling her eyes. "I'm always glad to serve your illegal needs."

More people arrived even as Blaise led everyone into the back with Bramble and Gellert trailing behind. Parvati waited at the counter to serve any new customers. Soon they were joined in the back by Blaise's uncle Basilio whom Kreacher had never met as well as Blaise's parents.

Mag, Kereston and Millicent's parents showed up shortly after that then Wolfgang's dad! The man was no giant, so that meant Adler's mum had that honor, Kreacher concluded. He found himself exchanging a glance with Regulus that said they were thinking the same thing. This was the way it always was with them for nearly as far back as Kreacher could remember and it was a closeness he treasured.

"You should eat something," Regulus told Kreacher firmly.

As he spoke, he placed a gentle hand on Kreacher's back, guiding him toward the table of party food.

"Those stuffed grape leaves look interesting, don't they?"

Kreacher nodded, taking one. The olive oil, grape leaves and rice made a delightful combination.

"Kreacher likes," he said around a half full mouth.

Regulus smiled, taking obvious pleasure in the pleasure Kreacher took when trying new and interesting food.

"Good. Have another then."

Plucking another rolled cluster of stuffed grape leaves from the table, he fed Kreacher in a way that made the elf's eyes flutter closed briefly with the involuntary sensuousness of it. Involuntary, because Kreacher knew Regulus would never seek to tantalize in public. He couldn't resist darting the tip of his tongue out to clean the olive oil from the tips of Regulus's slender fingers. The gesture caused Regulus's breath to catch as his gaze locked onto Kreacher's own.

As Kreacher wasn't the sort to display his needs in public either, he wondered if he'd gotten into a spiked drink instead of the plain tea he'd assumed himself to be drinking.

"I think you'd better feed yourself lest I embarrass us both by dragging you into the back room and locking the door," Regulus murmured regretfully.

Kreacher grinned even as he sighed in regret himself.

Now that things felt safer for them, he was free to relish the powerful effect he had on his Regulus. Idly he wondered if things were safer or if being freed from slavery changed his mind set that much. He kept the musings to himself, though, not wishing to complicate a celebratory night with friends.

The conversation, food and drinks all flowed late into the night. Blaise and Gellert drifted from group to group as everyone mingled, and Kreacher and Regulus did the same as well. By the time people began heading home, an hour or so before sunrise, most everyone was pleasantly tipsy.

All the new faces that Kreacher met throughout the night, treated him like a respected member of dark magical society and they properly admired Regulus for what he'd tried to do against Voldemort. It was grand if justified to feel a part of a group of elite dark wizards. It was no less than Regulus deserved, but of late, Kreacher was beginning to feel he deserved it as well.