Chapter 73

Regulus and Kreacher visited with Severus and the WestCravens for a few hours before returning to Doge's. As always when around friends, it warmed Regulus to feel accepted, a part of things again. Of course the kindred spirit sort of acceptance he had with Kreacher trumped any of that, but being among those few others with whom he had a connection served to bring him out of himself for a while. For a time, because they could forgive him, he could almost forgive himself. Kreacher forgave him, but while grateful for it, part of Regulus felt that perhaps he didn't deserve to be forgiven for all Kreacher had been cost.

At times the distraction of others could cause him to forget this for the most part at least for a little while. It was like the old days when he and Kreacher would party with the Lestranges or at Raislen's, young and full of hope and foolish pride.

In those days, Raislen always avoided talk of politics, but their mutual love of books, especially those possessing of rare or dark magical knowledge, gave them much to talk of. Raislen never openly spoke against Voldemort but he was pointedly one of the few Slytherins who never spoke up in his favor either while Regulus was always an avid supporter.

He'd become friends with Heather Knight and Raislen WestCraven in spite of the fact they were five years older than he, basically because of Sirius, so at least the git had been good for something. Severus and Regulus had bonded first on their mutual hatred for Sirius. As a result, Regulus had come to know Heather and Raislen through Severus.

Due to the social interaction, his spirits were high when they arrived back at Doge's. Kreacher apparated them directly into their bed chamber and Regulus went straight away to the desk.

"I shall write Albus about setting up a meeting between myself and Mr. Potter as soon as possible," he said and Kreacher nodded in understanding.

"Kreacher does not mind admitting that he shall be pleased to have his home back in our hands. Though it has been pleasant here, Kreacher misses his own 12 Grimmauld Place."

Regulus nodded.

"As do I."

Mortis was kind enough to take the letter to Albus once again. As was the case earlier, the reply was prompt.

My Dear Regulus,

I am afraid that you shall have to write Mr. Potter on your own to arrange a meeting, or perhaps do it through Kreacher, as at least he knows him. I have chosen to remain here in Durmstrang and teach under the alias I have adopted.

I have discovered that I enjoy freedom from vicious rumors and ungrateful wizards who never appreciate my attempts to help and instead enjoy believing the worst of me and or expecting me to be super human with god like abilities.

Of course you, and my Hogwarts friends are not among such wizards and I do plan to keep in contact with you all. I enjoy teaching Transfiguration here, and my life with Bera is more fulfilling than I ever could've imagined. I am more than happy with this new situation in which I find myself. Do not hesitate to write if I can be of help in any further matters, and do come and visit frequently.

Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore

Regulus nodded slightly in silent understanding at the letter before passing it to Kreacher to read.

The elf muttered something low under his breath, then made the letter vanish in a puff of ash once he had read it.

"Kreacher shall write Harry Potter and request that he come to Grimmauld place to speak with him whenever Master Regulus is ready."

"How does tomorrow directly after I have fed sound," Regulus asked, and Kreacher nodded.

"That is fine with Kreacher."