Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Three Souls Are The Cost. If I Walk Free, Their Lives Forever Are Lost

After Kreacher finished eating, Regulus called for Mortis, not wanting to leave the phoenix behind when they went to Dora's. The black bird had gone off to do his own thing, likely exploring the manor, while Kreacher and Regulus had their alone time. In less than ten seconds, he came flying into the kitchen, and Kreacher smiled at him. "Mortis came in when Kreacher was making food so Kreacher cut up a tomato for him," the elf said. "He allowed Kreacher to pet him," he added almost shyly.

That warmed Regulus's heart. He was pleased to see the two getting on. "He sees how wonderful you are," he told Kreacher, reaching out to draw him close. He couldn't get enough of touching Kreacher again, noticing and not caring in the least that he was clinging to the elf as if he never planned to let go. "We're headed to Dora's," he told Mortis. As soon as the black phoenix was on his shoulder, Regulus apparated them into Dora's sitting room.

"Hi?" The vampire looked mildly startled at their appearence. She lounged casually on her sofa watching a Muggle game show. "Somehow I'm still not used to you just appearing...probably because you haven't really used magic very much in years," she observed. As she spoke, she took in Kreacher, still clutched in Regulus's arms. "Oh my god! I am so glad you're here. Please don't ever leave! Well if he's with you you can leave, but just stay with him no matter what, please! He is really sorry."

Kreacher regarded her pensively. "Kreacher never wished to be away from Master Regulus's side. It pains him more than he can say that Master Regulus could, for even a moment, believe otherwise."

"So...what happened with the us not being able to contact you business," Dora asked curiously. Reaching for the remote control that rested on the arm of the sofa, she switched the television off. Kreacher's head turned to regard the device in her hand with a look half curious, half disapproving.

"Master Regulus and Kreacher are still trying to figure that out," Kreacher replied slowly. "Kreacher believes his Mistress may have placed some ward on the manor to hide us from attacks that kept the letters from getting through as well as anyone new from being able to find it. This would explain why Mortis and Miss Dora had trouble, but the Dark Lord could have been responsible for all Kreacher knows. As for Master Regulus's attempts to summon Kreacher to him...That is more complicated. Master Regulus had the idea that the filthy lake water interacted with his vampirism and broke his connection to Kreacher."

"Vampires are supposed to heal from anything, so I know that isn't logical, but it's the only thing that fits," Regulus told Dora. "Inside my manor today, I still could not summon Kreacher, but on my first day as a vampire, before visiting the lake, I could."

Dora nodded thoughtfully. "You are right. It isn't logical, because what doesn't kill vampires, we can heal from. Still I know nothing about how magic can interact with vampirism so I suppose we all just learned something new." She studied Kreacher in open fascination. "Well aren't you the cutest little magical thing! Granted I have seen you frequently in Regulus's mind, but the real thing is far more impressive!" Kreacher grinned and blushed in pleasure. "I can literally FEEL the magic radiating off of you...In waves of...Other, and awesomeness." She grinned. "And I think many people would even be frightened of you." That last bit was said with true respect.

Kreacher looked surprised and a bit confused, but smiled again. "Kreacher...that is nice of Miss Dora to say," the elf managed at last. Wriggling out of Regulus's arms he stepped forward and gravely bowed. "Kreacher would like very much to thank Miss Dora for saving his Master Regulus's life. Kreacher truly thanks Dora from the bottom of his heart."

"Well that's sweet," Dora said. "In truth I was glad to help. Your magical world is all very interesting to one as old as myself. To discover new things at my age is more than refreshing and in truth a necessity for our kind else we grow bored of living. Many do, you know. After so long with nothing new to interest or stimulate, things become too tedious."