Chapter 92

The next year passed rapidly in relative ease, though depression was constantly a low murmur in the background for Regulus. It made everything a bit less pleasurable than it should've been. The only purely joyful moments he experienced were those spent with Kreacher. At least the elf was thriving as a result of Regulus's return and truly enjoying life. The vampire found himself playing a supporting character role to Kreacher, and he was more than glad to do it. The elf deserved the best of everything, and always had.

In the old days, Regulus had intended a partnership for the two of them in all things, but his acceptance among the ranks of The Dark Lord had thrust him into the spotlight first. Due to this fact, and because he was the family's slave in spite of how much Regulus hated that, Kreacher had played the role of supporting character. Now it was Regulus's turn.

He knew that Kreacher still wanted the full partnership, but Regulus felt he'd lost something. If ambition were a thread, it was as if he'd dropped it and couldn't find the end for a starting point. He was at loose ends with no true desires save to be united with Kreacher and his family again. He had that so all was well save for the depression.

The goblin healers still had not returned from their sabbatical, though, so he waited without a resolution to that. Severus was finding it difficult to make a potion that entirely fit the description that Kreacher, Regulus and Albus Dumbledore had given him. Of course the potion was difficult, and besides, Severus had a job and a life in Bulgaria. He couldn't spend all of his time working on the potion for Regulus, though the amount of time he did dedicate to the endeavor was impressive. For that, Regulus would be eternally grateful even if it resulted in nothing.

For Kreacher's part, he spent many of his days with Millicent, who unlike Kereston did not have a job at the Ministry that kept her busy most days of the week. The elf did spend the weekends with Kereston, though, venturing out into wizarding London for shopping or lunch. Twice a week he also visited Albus Dumbledore in Bulgaria for advanced lessons in Transfiguration.

While quite skilled at the art already, Kreacher had expressed a wish to learn more personal applications when he and Regulus visited Bulgaria during their travels. Personal, because Kreacher wanted to use it on himself. While he could transfigure objects into most anything he wished, he'd never turned the art on himself. Such was painful at best and outright dangerous at worst if not done with precise accuracy. Kreacher wished to transfigure into a taller version of himself purely for physical pleasure.

Although he and Regulus had a rich and varied relationship in their bedchamber, Kreacher was always on top as it were, due to Regulus's concern of hurting him were they to switch places. Transfiguration was Kreacher's response to that. Unfortunately, Kreacher chose to brooch this topic with Albus while Regulus slept.

Unfortunately, because Regulus would've loved to see how Kreacher went about explaining to Dumbledore why he wished to be taller. While Albus was fully aware of the physical nature of their relationship, he simply wasn't the sort one spoke to about one's bedroom plans. As with one's own grandfather, it simply wasn't a topic spoken of with one's former headmaster.

Kreacher's lessons usually lasted no more than an hour. He visited Albus after class and before dinner at Durmstrang, so he was back home by the time Regulus woke. When questioned about the progress of his lessons, Kreacher explained that Albus was teaching him about the organs and general internal workings of the body as each part had to be adjusted when undergoing such a transfiguration.

Albus was taking things slow with the process so that it was done properly. Regulus had always been fine with things as they were, and Kreacher was in no hurry, so this wasn't a problem for either of them. Regulus was pleased to see Kreacher pursuing interests, be it with Kereston or Albus. He had no desires of his own when it came to pursuits outside of Kreacher's wants. Kreacher frequently asked what he'd like to do, but he couldn't force outside interests that weren't there. He had plenty of books to expand his general education, and he read for at least two hours each night.