Chapter 144

"Do they normally allow babies to come home the first night," Kereston asked curiously as Kreacher and Regulus stepped into the front hall of #12 Grimmauld Place.

Each of them held a baby in his arms.

"Oh they're so cute," she added enthusiastically as her gray-blue eyes drank in the tiny babies.

Kreacher and Regulus had chosen to take the night bus home, concerned over apparating babies even though the goblin healers insisted there would be no risk with the two obviously so experienced at the art. The new parents weren't certain that their babies were fully out of the woods yet with so many firsts involved in their mere existence, so they wouldn't take any chances.

"I personally don't recall," Regulus said with a slight amused twitch of his lips.

Kereston blinked, clearly confused.

"What?"

"I don't recall if I stayed over at hospital or returned here the first night I was born," Regulus replied with a chuckle.

Kereston laughed, shaking her head of blonde curls at him.

"I don't think I've ever seen you make a joke. It worked out well, so you can try it again some day if you like."

Regulus laughed.

"I shall truly consider it."

"What are you going to do now," Kereston wondered.

"And is there anything I can do to help?"

Kreacher thinks the children will be hungry soon, so he shall heat bottles for them. At present we require no assistance, but he is certain we shall eventually."

As the elf spoke, he and Regulus exchanged an unplanned nervous glance.

"It's all rather terrifying," Regulus admitted to Kereston and Kreacher nodded.

Kereston gave a sympathetic smile.

"I'm sure it is. As you know I have no more experience with children than you do, but I'm here to help if I can."

Regulus nodded gratefully.

"We shall need all the help we can get. Of that I am certain."

He chuckled, and followed Kreacher into the kitchen where the elf filled and warmed too bottles of milk hands free. The effortless way he performed the task, and most magic, never failed to impress Regulus. Magic was a skill, but Kreacher made it as simple as breathing.

"What?"

Kreacher paused in the process of passing Regulus a bottle of warm milk, giving him an inquisitive look.

"I just love watching the organic way you work with magic," Regulus said in way of explanation.

Kreacher gave a happy sigh.

"Kreacher does love it when Master Regulus is in his observant states. He says the most fascinating things."

Regulus chuckled, settling onto a nearby chair in order to comfortably and safely feed Hydra.

"Compliments about you are fascinating?"

Kreacher grinned, at last passing him the bottle.

"Of course!"

Regulus offered the bottle to Hydra, who had been watching with sleepy, stoic curiosity. When he coaxed it into her mouth, she began to drink hungrily. When she didn't choke and the bottle didn't spill, he breathed a sigh of relief and began to relax. He glanced over at Kreacher, glad to see he was having a similarly easy time of it with Loughness.