Chapter 157

Chapter 157, Kreacher's Parents

Regulus and Kreacher were excited for the Christmas holidays more than usual. This was the first year the children were away at school, after all. The two had never gone without seeing Loughness and Hydra for months at a time. Both were very ready to have the children at home for a bit. They found themselves eager to hear their news, for letters were few and far between from both, even if Hydra's were longer.

Regulus was particularly eager to hear their thoughts on the professors he'd had during his own time at Hogwarts. Having this common ground to share with them was exciting. All too often the twins behaved quite as if he and Kreacher were ancient and as such, unrelatable. When the day arrived for them to come home for the holidays, Stormy and Ripper met them at the train station to escort them home. When Regulus and Kreacher woke in the evening, they hurriedly dressed and rushed down stairs to greet them. Everyone was in the dining room having dinner. Walburga and Orion hoovered near the children, and the room was full of lively conversation. Regulus was far less uncomfortable not eating when everyone else was once Kreacher became a vampire and so could not eat with him. He felt far less self-conscious not eating alone. With his parents about, unable to eat for other reasons of an incorporeal nature, he felt even less self-conscious.

"Hi Daddy," Hydra called, waving as she caught sight of Regulus. "And other Daddy," she added, waving at Kreacher, who followed just behind him. "Hogwarts food is delicious, but we've so missed the food of home."

"Yes," Loughness agreed enthusiastically around a full mouth.

"Loughness, dear. It is not gentlemanly to speak with your mouth full," Walburga chastised. "Whatever have they been teaching you at Hogwarts for you to forget so soon, I wonder."

"Oh, sorry," Loughness said after hastily swallowing. He darted a quick embarrassed glance to Kereston, who hadn't appeared to notice. Apparently he was still carrying a heavy torch for the little blonde, Regulus noted, with an amused smile that he couldn't quite restrain.

"We want to hear all about your time at Hogwarts," Regulus said eagerly. As he spoke, he and Kreacher settled themselves in their customary spots at the head of the table. "Who are your favorite professors, and what are your favorite classes?"

"Professor Flitwick of course," Hydra said. "But we've known him for ages, so that's only natural. Unless someone else was particularly amazing, but they're all just okay. No one is unpleasant at least, so we don't dislike anyone. I think my favorite class might be Astronomy, then Charms."

"Mine is Herbology," Loughness said. "At first I hated it, and didn't understand it, then something just clicked, and I saw how interesting all the plants are and how they're all sentient to a degree, and it's so exciting to think of what they could be used for."

"That's brilliant, Loughness," Regulus praised. "Kreacher and I have long speculated that elves should have a deeper connection to nature even if it has been lost over the centuries. We are very pleased that you are connecting with your abilities when it comes to such things."

"Indeed," Kreacher said, giving a proud nod. Loughness grinned happily, clearly pleased to have pleased his parents. Loughness was often the rebel child, the loud one, the demanding one. He couldn't even have a normal pet to take to Hogwarts with him. Indeed not. No toad, owl or cat for him. Instead he decided that he needed a salamander, and that Hydra should have one as well so that they could match.

When Kreacher and Regulus pointed out how difficult it was to obtain one of the fire creatures, Loughness set up an angry wailing until they agreed to make it happen for their own peace of mind. In the end they asked Blaise and Gellert to check with some of their Swedish connections, and fortunately, one of them knew someone who knew someone who could manage to lay hands on two salamanders for an exorbitant price. In spite of his at times willful nature, Loughness was a good and loyal child, and a child who enjoyed pleasing his parents. These traits ensured that they always forgave him most things soon enough.