Chapter 133

Kreacher and Regulus invited Griphook to dinner around two weeks after Mag and Severus's visit. Kreacher wrote the invitation, stating that any day he could come was fine with them, so long as it was after sunset.

The two had read all of the borrowed books from Wolfgang with no luck. While they were interesting in themselves, nothing could be found in their pages on elves and the fae. Griphook responded surprisingly swiftly, accepting their invitation and saying that he was open for dinner the very next day if that wasn't too soon.

Kreacher wrote back assuring him that the next day would be perfect. He then busied himself planning an elaborate and extravagant meal for the goblin, jotting down his wishes in minute detail for the other elves even down to the dishes on which the meal should be served. The Black family not only had several sets of fine china, but they also had a set of silver dishes and a set of gold. These sets included cups, bowls, plates, goblets and utensils. For this night, Kreacher opted for the fine silver, as the gold may make it appear they were trying too hard to impress.

"Kreacher is certain that Griphook shall feel flattered, and thus be more forthcoming," he told Regulus with a satisfied smile.

His round blue eyes danced with eager excitement that Regulus found contagious.

"Brilliant thinking," he praised and Kreacher's smile widened.

"Yes," he agreed modestly.

"Kreacher thought so as well."

"I wonder what Griphook will think this is about," Regulus mused.

"While we're obviously on friendly enough business terms, we haven't exactly been social with him."

Kreacher nodded.

"He'll probably suspect business. Kreacher supposes this is why he accepted so readily. If he senses gold he is likely up for a dinner any time."

"Do you think he will be receptive upon learning that it isn't business as much as knowledge seeking," Regulus asked and Kreacher shrugged.

"Kreacher doesn't see why not. Griphook has nothing to lose by assisting us in further exploring this topic, after all."

For his part, Regulus found the idea of gaining knowledge from the goblin to be a rather thrilling prospect. Rarely did goblins and wizards rub shoulders if it didn't involve transactions at Gringotts.

Of course Regulus had no problem with goblins, but he'd never had cause to seek any of them out for social interaction. Likewise none had ever approached him. Upon reflection, it was honestly shocking how separate the magical races kept themselves in daily life.

They had far more in common with one another than they did with Muggles, yet some wizards mixed with Muggles more readily, which struck Regulus as passing strange the more he thought of it. One would think it was a result of hard feelings due to the goblin wizarding wars, but hadn't the wizards suffered even more at Muggle hands during the wizarding Muggle wars? When Regulus asked Kreacher for his thoughts on the matter, the elf merely shrugged.

"Perhaps wizards still find Goblins more threatening than Muggles."

"But wizards won the war against them and lost against Muggles," Regulus protested and Kreacher nodded thoughtfully, then he smiled.

"Well Kreacher never said that he believed most wizards to be nearly as smart as Master Regulus."

Regulus chuckled, drawing Kreacher close.

"Your high regard is the only reason I have any self esteem left after the mistakes I've made," he said.

"Kreacher is glad," the elf said, but his gaze was sad and distant as it slowly rose to meet Regulus's own.