Chapter 65

The sound of Kreacher's voice reached his ears just as consciousness returned to Regulus Saturday evening.

"Kreacher shall be pleased when autumn arrives. The day grows darker far faster then and he has Master Regulus several hours sooner each day."

The elf turned back the lid of the coffin as he spoke, and Regulus reached up to draw Kreacher down to him for a kiss. He was so warm and soft and familiar in the best of ways. A soothing balm to his well being as well as his romantic emotions.

Lithe body wriggling to get himself even closer Kreacher gave a sigh of contentment.

"You smell of chocolate," Regulus said, lips twitching in fond amusement.

"We had ice cream after dueling," Kreacher said with a self satisfied smile.

He bounced up then, expressive round blue eyes brightening in that way they did when he had something exciting to report.

"Kreacher learned a few interesting tricks, but the one he thinks Master Regulus shall enjoy the most happens to be one of Gellert Grindelwald's personal favorites. He taught it to our dark little group this past summer just after he was released from Nurmengard. It is called Protego Diabolica! It could perhaps even protect us from The Dark Lord...at least long enough for us to get away. It impressed Kreacher very much, he must confess," the elf gushed.

Regulus sat up eagerly.

"Very well. Let's see it."

Kreacher moved to the other side of the room. "The spell works by surrounding the caster in a ring of fire. But it is very special fire, because whoever crosses through it to reach said caster must be loyal to him or they die! Brilliant isn't it?"

Regulus nodded thoughtfully.

"Indeed it is."

A small frown of concentration crossed Kreacher's face as he murmured the words of the spell again.

"Protego Diabolica."

Even as he spoke, a ring of black fire surrounded the elf then slowly expanded until it nearly filled a third of the room.

"Kreacher also learned to keep the shield in place while moving, which was actually Kereston's idea."

No wonder Grindelwald liked the girl, Regulus thought. She was definitely one of their kind, like minded in cunning and sharp wit.

Kreacher demonstrated this by slowly approaching Regulus, who rose and moved to meet him. He was curious how the shield would feel against his skin. Was it safe for vampires? If it hurt he would simply back off and have Kreacher recast it with them standing together. There was no issue, though, as he passed through the black fire without even feeling it. It's recognition of him as being loyal to Kreacher kept any ill effects completely at bay.

"Kreacher also spoke to Kereston about getting us in to speak with the Aurors," Kreacher said as he allowed the black fire to vanish.

"She had concerns, mostly about being discovered by the Dark Lord or losing her job, but Kreacher convinced her that Master Regulus will ensure that she is not implicated."

Regulus nodded.

"Kreacher suggested we get inside with all of us under our cloak of invisibility."

"Brilliant thinking," Regulus praised and Kreacher's eyes shone with pleasure.

"Kreacher is just happy that he could help. Kereston said to write her whenever we're ready to be let into the Ministry. Many Aurors leave in the evening, so we shall have to sort a way to get Master Regulus up and out earlier even if there is not a rainy day coming soon."

"If it did rain soon, that would make things far simpler, though," Regulus said, frowning as his mind began to worry over the bloody weather.

"We could sort a way to watch the Muggle news to get a glimpse at the weather forecast, or...I bet Millicent could look online," he realized.

"Would you write her, Kreacher, and ask her to check online to see if it will rain in the next week and when?"

Kreacher nodded and went at once to their shared desk in the corner of the room. While Regulus got dressed for his evening hunt Kreacher wrote Millicent. Mortis took the letter, vanishing in a cloud of black flame. They waited for the phoenix's return before heading out, and he was back in less than five minutes with a return letter from Millicent.

"She says if the weather report is correct, it shall rain next Friday," Kreacher said after scanning it quickly.

Regulus nodded, making a face.

"That's the trouble. At least a third of the bloody time, the weather report is wrong. Apparently the weather is a difficult thing to pin down for Muggles and wizards alike."

"Kreacher will write Kereston to say that we would like to meet with her at lunch Thursday in order to sneak into the Ministry so long as the weather is rainy," Kreacher said, returning to the desk.

When the elf completed the short note, Mortis plucked it from his hand and vanished again.

Kereston was as quick to respond as Millicent, writing back that she would see them then.

"Kereston is a good friend that Kreacher is fortunate to have," Kreacher said as the black bird returned to Regulus's shoulder.

"Indeed," Regulus nodded.

"Thank you, Mortis," he added, lightly touching the phoenix's glossy feathers in a gesture of appreciation.

Mortis bobbed his head gravely and the three headed out so that Regulus could have dinner.

Under the shelter of the cloak of invisibility, Kreacher apparated them to Knockturn Alley.

"Did you eat something other than ice cream today," Regulus asked the elf.

"Kreacher did, for lunch," he replied.

"I want you to have something for dinner when we return," Regulus said firmly and Kreacher nodded.

They fell silent then as Regulus opened his mind to scan for someone suitable to appease his own hunger.

Though Regulus didn't spot any Death Eaters, he did notice the angry thoughts of a wizard who daily beat his nine year old son. As he slipped from the shadows behind Borgin and Burkes, Regulus silently vowed that the child in question would have a far better night when his father never came home.