Chapter 44

To Regulus's shock, he received a letter from Albus two days after the fall term at Hogwarts started, saying that Mr. Potter had not returned to school, and as such Regulus would not be giving him lessons. Dumbledore appeared calm on the matter, saying that he was sure the change in plans would work out in the end. Worried, Regulus wasn't so sure, but his hands were effectively tied by Mr. Potter when it came to this situation. Unfairly or not, Regulus found himself understanding why both Kreacher and Regulus disliked the boy. He seemed irresponsible at best.

He couldn't help feeling a bit depressed that one of the things he intended to do to help out in the fight against Voldemort was taken from him by the very one he intended to help. It was ironic in the best of ways.

"It is as if the stupid boy would like to get himself killed by the Dark Lord," Kreacher grumbled, scowling as he scanned the letter from Dumbledore.

Sighing, Regulus nodded in silent agreement. Kreacher was very often correct and this case was no exception.

Over the next few months, Regulus and Kreacher spent much of their time researching various topics that may or may not lead back to how the elf enslavement had been accomplished and by whom. They studied various magical bindings and oaths, blood magic, and various forms of compulsion. Several seemed close to what they were looking for but none were exactly right. Some in combinations were close and some alone, but when put into play, their traces were all more visible under the proper scrutiny than was the elf binding.

When they weren't working on that, Regulus was hiding with Kreacher under the cloak of invisibility they'd borrowed from Wolfgang, stalking Hogsmeade and Knockturn Alley for Death Eaters who could provide an evening meal. He only managed to locate and take down three in four months, which was frustrating. That was less than one a bloody month!

"Where are they all hiding," he wondered darkly to Kreacher one night after he'd had to settle on a meal of Muggle after coming up cold in Knockturn Alley for the sixth time that week.

Kreacher frowned, shaking his head in shared bafflement. "Perhaps the Dark Lord has them stationed elsewhere...but if so for what?"

Regulus nodded. Equally disturbing that was, but likely nonetheless.

"I would like to think it means there aren't as many following him as we thought, but we can't afford the luxury of such hope," he said.

More than once, he'd considered checking in with Severus on those times he'd drifted by Hogwarts to scope the place out as Albus had requested. With two professors there as Death Eaters, and who knew how many Slytherin students, though, he didn't wish to risk showing himself quite yet. If his return somehow came to light and put Severus in danger, he would feel dreadful.

Not only that, if he did anything careless to ruin Voldemort's downfall, well that would be beyond unthinkable after everything that had already happened. Of course he and Kreacher always remained under the cloak of invisibility when at Hogwarts even though they just skirted the edge of the grounds. For all they knew Voldemort had other spies watching the place if only to keep tabs on Severus and the rest to ensure they were remaining true. The Dark Lord wasn't known for trust, after all. Likely even more so after his favorites had attempted to kill him in nineteen-seventy-nine.

With his mind completely open and all shields down, Regulus could sense the minds inside the school even from the edge of Hogwarts grounds. Circling the parameter gave him time to scan for anything troublesome. Thus far nothing had alarmed him. That didn't mean that all was well by any stretch of the imagination, but it was not alarming considering the current circumstances.

Most students were resentful, frightened or both considering that Voldemort was completely in the open now for anyone with eyes to see it. The changes made to how Muggle studies was taught was unsettling, and the fact that Defense Against the Dark Arts had simply become Dark Arts frightened many. Those who would've preferred Dark Arts to defending against them didn't enjoy the things they were being taught by their new professor or the zealous way in which they were presented. Were Regulus still a student, he would've agreed wholeheartedly.