Chapter 60

The following Wednesday, Regulus woke with Kreacher bending over him, peaking through a crack in the coffin lid which he held open just wide enough to see inside. In similar fashion to Saturday, Kreacher's eyes were eager.

"Master Regulus. Someone is here to see you. Well she originally only wished to leave something for Master Regulus in Kreacher's capable care, but Kreacher suggested she wait. He knew Master Regulus would be awake soon, and that he may wish to thank her himself. Kreacher served her tea and we chatted about Millicent and Kereston who Master Regulus knows Kreacher likes very much."

Regulus sat up, running a hand over his eyes.

"What are you talking about, Kreacher? Or rather who?"

Kreacher smiled, perhaps enjoying the act of drawing out the mystery a little too much.

"Magritte WestCraven. She has come with something for Master Regulus. Something that Master Regulus has long and eagerly awaited!"

Regulus sprang to his feet.

"My wand?"

"Master Regulus is indeed brilliant," Kreacher said, nodding sagely before his face lit with a grin.

"It is rather magnificent! Kreacher believes Master Regulus will love it!"

"I must see it," Regulus said, and hurriedly got dressed. So ecstatic was he, that he nearly forgot to comb his hair!

"Did you hold it," he asked Kreacher as he opened the bedroom door to head downstairs.

"Kreacher did."

"Does it feel extremely powerful?"

Kreacher frowned.

"It feels nice...Kreacher does not require a wand so he perhaps does not see the appeal that wizards do."

"I suppose not," Regulus agreed, nodding.

"It's why I never truly understood the reason elves serve anyone...And before you say that you are compelled to do so, I am aware, but that never sat well with me as you know."

Kreacher shrugged, pausing at the bottom of the stairs to peer briefly up into Regulus's face.

"Kreacher shall be surprised if we can ever solve the mystery of what causes elves to serve wizards. Regardless it does not need to affect Kreacher and Master Regulus. Now let us go and claim Master Regulus's new wand."

Regulus grinned.

"Indeed that is most definitely something we can act affirmatively upon right now."

Bending he kissed Kreacher's cheek, then let the elf lead the way into Doge's library where Mag was waiting. The red head was lost in a book, and to her credit, did not seem at all impatient.

"Thank you so much, Mag! I am thrilled," Regulus said, hurrying over to her.

"I'm excited for you to see it as well," she said.

Lifting a long white box from the table beside her chair, she presented it to Regulus, who did not at all bother to hide his eagerness as he reached for it. This was an entirely new wand owning experience! Of course it was not at all like shopping at Ollivanders. There was no tedious checking each wand to see which finally decided to respond to you. Yet there was still the knowledge, over which to marvel, that the wand would work perfectly for you nonetheless.

Regulus moved to the sofa near Mag's chair, and settled down to examine his wand, Kreacher taking a seat at his side. He carefully lifted the hinged lid of the jeweler style case like long box to reveal a black and clear wand. The stones were of a similar size and cut, both possessing six sides or facets. The two stones were held together in the center with a wide band of polished silver. The black stone had a rough pitted texture over which Regulus ran one finger, while the clear crystal was gleaming and smoothly polished. The contrast captivated him somehow. It was almost mesmerizing.