Chapter 13

Chapter 13: Heathens

Regulus approached his father the moment Orion and Walburga arrived back home from their trip the next day. By that point, he was just ready to get it over with. He'd made the decision to share the burden of the truth concerning the Dark Lord. He was beyond tired of bearing it alone. Rather than feeling like a relief, the decision served as a new anxiety that would not be eased until his father knew everything. Regulus stood pensively in front of his father in the front hall while his mum instructed Kreacher on unpacking their things.

"As soon as you've done with that, Kreacher, would you join Father and I in the library," Regulus asked and the elf nodded, fleetingly meeting Regulus's gaze with worried blue eyes. "Father...I must speak with you in private on a matter of extreme import. May we do that now," Regulus asked, turning back to a bemused Orion. The elder Black nodded and the two walked together into the library. "May I pour you a drink, Father," Regulus offered as Orion sank into his favorite arm chair with a sigh. Regulus thought the offer of a drink was the least he could do considering what he was about to dump onto his undeserving father.

"Yes, that would be nice. Thank you, Regulus," Orion accepted with a slight smile. It was obvious he was wondering what all this was about and too polite to ask for the time being. Regulus nodded, moving to the sideboard as he asked, "So how was your trip?" Regulus made the polite inquiry as he poured. Normally it would've been the question he greeted his parents with, but today his focus was elsewhere.

"Quite nice. What's this matter of import about, Regulus...I see you asked Kreacher to join us so if it is about...anything personal I would rather not know of it."

Regulus sighed. "It isn't. At least not in the way you're thinking, but I would prefer to wait for Kreacher to join us before I begin."

"Very well," Orion said. "I am curious, but Kreacher never takes very long to complete any task, so I shan't have long to wait."

Regulus nodded, crossing the room to his father's chair and presenting him with the freshly poured snifter of brandy. Idly he considered pouring one for himself for fortification, then decided against it and took a seat across from his father instead. For a few moments, strained silence filled the library as they both waited for Kreacher. Eventually Orion cleared his throat, then took a sip of brandy. "Was all well while we were away?"

Regulus nodded. "Yes...We had a nice time. It was pleasant to have some time alone." He glanced away, hoping he hadn't said anything to make his father uncomfortable. That wasn't his intention, and he did not seek to anger Orion, but the elder Black was aware that Regulus and Kreacher were a couple now so pretending otherwise felt wrong.

"That's nice," Orion muttered, gaze focused intently on the brandy in his glass.

Fortunately Kreacher entered then, gently closing the door behind him. Regulus smiled and gestured for Kreacher to take the chair beside his own. When the elf was seated, Regulus took a deep breath as he met his father's eyes. "When Kreacher went to assist the Dark Lord, he was nearly killed." That certainly got Orion's attention. His eyes flew wide and he straightened sharply, setting the glass in his hand on the large oak desk to the right of his chair. "What happened?"

Regulus looked at Kreacher, and the elf began to apologetically recount the unsettling incident in the cave, long slender fingers twisting together anxiously as he spoke. Regulus sat stiffly on the edge of his chair as he listened to the horrors Kreacher unfolded yet again. This time was no easier. Though now the elf was not clinging to him and sobbing in misery and shock as he spoke, the halting, nearly fearful way Kreacher relayed the incident tore at his heart. Again, Regulus was awash in guilt for volunteering the one he loved most for an assignment that put him directly into the hands of a mad man who, for whatever reason, left him for dead! As he listened, Orion's face showed confusion, then shock, then anger.