Chapter 77

When Doge opened the door, Kreacher presented him with the silver wrapped plate of cookies at once.

"For Elphias Doge," he said gravely.

"Kreacher has made cookies."

"Well, they smell delightful," Doge observed.

"Thank you, Kreacher! But what's the occasion," he asked, his kindly face wearing an expression both surprised and perplexed as he stepped back so Regulus and Kreacher could enter.

"We have just gotten our home back," Regulus explained with a glad smile.

"We are celebrating as well as thanking you once again for your more than kind hospitality. Many would not allow two vampires into their home yet you did so and with an open heart. We felt entirely at home while staying here, and you have gone far out of your way to ensure that this is so. Our gratitude to you is vast, and though we can't say thank you enough, we can at least give it our best try. Kreacher made his delicious cookies and we also would like to give you this...It looks odd, but it's rather ancient and we hoped you may enjoy it."

As he spoke, he presented the mirror, hoping Doge wouldn't find it's oddly twisted iron frame to be displeasing. Regulus hoped the antique factor would make it more tantalizing.

Elphias's eyes narrowed in interest as he took the heavy mirror into his hands.

"Well look at it, won't you! I have never seen anything of the like."

He turned the thing around and around in his hands before freezing in place, eyes focused on the glass of the mirror rather than the frame.

"Do you know what this does," he asked, tone suddenly filled with awe.

Kreacher and Regulus both shook their heads.

"If I am correct, and I've only seen a similar spell once long ago in a Defense Against The Dark Arts class during my own Hogwarts days, this mirror prevents magic from being cast in its vicinity. Moreover the way in which it does so is fascinating! It uses the cold iron frame to hold the spell and directs said spell at the glass of the mirror. The mirror glass absorbs the magic into it when any spell is cast."

His gaze on the frame was reverent.

"Are you quite sure the two of you want to give this up? Because if you've changed your mind, I will not hold it against you in the least. You had no idea what you were parting with, after all."

Though the mirror did seem more interesting now, Regulus exchanged a glance with Kreacher and both shook their heads. They'd already made it a gift and it would not be right to take it back.

"No. We wish for you to have it. That's probably why my Mum stuck it into the attic in the first place. It was probably too disruptive, absorbing whatever magic we were casting when it was around, and not allowing it to work."

Doge nodded, chuckling.

"I definitely understand its intrigue for defensive purposes but indeed having it about in daily life could become taxing when magic isn't allowed to work properly."

Regulus nodded.

"Just so."

He watched, pleased, as Doge continued to turn the heavy thing around and around, regarding it from all angles.

"Do you think you could repeat the spells that were used on it," Regulus asked curiously.

"That is, did you learn that in defense class?"

Doge shook his head.

"We learned how they work, not how to make such items. I believe it is goblin crafted."