Chapter 50

Between the four of them, and in spite of their great minds, they did not get the job done that night. Instead they spent two cold dark hours in Knockturn Alley working on magical theory with only partial results. Regulus and Kreacher used the cloak of invisibility and Grindelwald used disillusionment to hide himself. It wouldn't do for anyone to see that Grindelwald or Regulus lived. Millicent went along so that Wolfgang would not appear to be talking to himself. Everyone walked in a close knot so they could hold murmured conversations without gaining too much attention.

Wolfgang cast an anti-eavesdropping spell around them so that no one could hear that there were more people murmuring than were visible to the eye. Their little group walked the dark wintry streets of Knockturn Alley, stopping at the two street corners where Wolfgang and Gellert had laid there dark mark detect wards. Kreacher was in fact able to easily connect the audio charms to the wards, but when they attempted to add the visual ones that Gellert had perfected with Blaise, they would not attach to the ward.

This wasn't truly surprising, because such charms were intended to attach to an object and not another spell. It was just that with the four of them working together, they all believed they could sort a way to make it happen regardless. This was still quite likely, Regulus knew. It was just going to take longer than expected to make it happen. Before dispersing, they agreed to brainstorm separately and reconvene after the new year if no one had a breakthrough sooner.

As Regulus and Kreacher apparated home, Regulus's thoughts were on Grindelwald more than the current project on which they worked with him. He was an interesting one, and Regulus hadn't walked away feeling as if he knew him any better even if he did find him quite likable.

"So what did you think of Grindelwald," he asked Kreacher as they stood together in Doge's front hall while Kreacher methodically replaced the hex locks on the door.

"Indeed," Doge spoke from behind them.

"What did both of you think of Grindelwald?

Regulus turned to Doge, quite aware that his mouth was gaping. How did Doge know about Grindelwald? And why was he still awake?

The older man chuckled, answering the question stamped on Regulus's face. "Albus told me. Albus tells me everything probably, and if he doesn't, he tells me more than he tells anyone else. A man carrying that much burden coupled with responsibility has to have someone he can talk to."

Regulus nodded. He could understand that.

"Very well. As long as I am breaking no confidence, Grindelwald was friendly. He was amusing and engaging. He has a respect for elves that I admire, and I very much enjoy the innovative way he thinks about magic. It meshes quite well with the way Kreacher and I see things. I found working with him tonight refreshingly stimulating even if we couldn't quite finish the project we're developing."

Doge nodded thoughtfully.

"Interesting. What about you, Kreacher?"

Kreacher frowned, considering for several long seconds before he replied. It was obvious that he liked Doge asking his opinion, and as such was truly putting thought into it.

"Kreacher believes that Gellert Grindelwald is a very smart man," he said at last.

"Kreacher also believes that Gellert Grindelwald finds it very difficult to trust. As such, he likes people as much as he is able while...perhaps not being completely certain of them. Kreacher thinks it is likely a very lonely existence."

Isolated, Regulus found himself thinking, nodding in understanding to Kreacher's words. His friend was always so wise and perceptive and Regulus's admiration of that only grew stronger and stronger. Considering this, their accidental kiss at that fateful newyears party leading to where they were now was no true surprise.