Chapter 108

Kreacher was relieved when Ariana turned down Master Regulus's polite offer of a late dinner. She'd eaten on the train and was tired from travel so happy to retire to bed nearly at once. Kreacher was glad of this, for he did not wish to spend the later hours entertaining even an interesting guest if it interrupted his time alone with Master Regulus.

Granted as long as the company was interesting, he would not normally mind quite so much, but for the fact he would have to leave Master Regulus tomorrow. Though he did so at times to visit friends, he would have preferred Regulus go with him to Aberforth's. Were anything to go amiss with the situation, Kreacher was not as certain that he would know what to do or how to react without the reassuring presence of Master Regulus at his side.

For example, what if Aberforth disbelieved the girl or outright professed not to want her? When he wondered this aloud to Regulus as the two undressed in the silent, inviting darkness of their bedchamber, the pause that followed was not reassuring.

"Well," Regulus began, hesitantly drawing the word out.

"That would be...I don't know what I would say to him were I there, so I don't know how to advise you on that one, Kreacher."

Regulus let out a low chuckle.

"You seem to think I have all the answers, but when it comes to general interactions, I am quite lacking."

Kreacher made a sound of disbelief.

"Kreacher thinks Master Regulus interacts quite well," he murmured, unable to keep the suggestive quality from his tone.

They were about to get into bed after all, and besides...Master Regulus was the most charming person he knew.

"Your supreme confidence is always touching, but I prefer to tackle puzzles, magical connections, things I don't have to deal with on a personal level," Regulus explained.

"If Master Regulus says so," Kreacher said, not bothering to keep the doubt from his voice.

"I suppose if he doesn't believe her, you could suggest they go to a healer for a paternity charm," Regulus mused thoughtfully and Kreacher struggled to hold back a crow of triumph and a 'Kreacher told Master Regulus so.'

Though he did indeed struggle, he quickly lost the fight.

Regulus frowned.

"I was putting actual thought into it for you. It is not as if I would've known what to do on the instant were I there with you tomorrow," he grumbled.

Kreacher shrugged, grinning.

"Kreacher doesn't care. Master Regulus still had the proper ideas that Kreacher needed."

He frowned.

"He still does not wish to go without Master Regulus, but he feels slightly more prepared if things go South as Dora says."

"I still have nothing if he flat out doesn't want her, though," Regulus said.
"Something that harsh is hard to spin. Hopefully the mother didn't keep him a secret because he didn't want her."

"Hopefully," Kreacher agreed a little sullenly.

"Kreacher would not like dealing with that at all. It would quite put Kreacher on the spot."

"I'm sure Ariana would be feeling far worse than you," Regulus said with a chuckle as he and Kreacher sank onto the bed together.

"Yes, but that won't help Kreacher any," the elf complained.

Though Regulus had no more helpful advice, Kreacher had to admit he certainly did an excellent job of taking his mind off the situation.

Kreacher woke earlier than usual, unable to rest completely easy with a stranger in the manor that he knew was likely hoping for breakfast. He was a free elf, but he was also a good elf who knew how to properly care for a guest. He could not allow one to wake unattended in what was now half of his manor.