Chapter 66

For the first time in ages, Regulus felt as though some higher power may just be on their side when it was indeed quite rainy Thursday. The bedroom he shared with Kreacher at Doge's was nearly dark when the elf shook him awake at noon. Less than half an hour later they were meeting with Kereston Boxwood behind Borgin and Burkes.

The small blonde was leaning against the building with a mildly pensive expression on her face. Kreacher reached a hand from beneath the invisibility cloak under which he and Regulus were draped to lightly touch her arm in way of announcing their arrival.

"Thank you, Kereston," Regulus said quietly when she turned in their direction.

"My family and I owe you much for this, and trust me when I say that your kindness shall not be forgotten."

"Well," Kereston said, her expression mildly flustered.

"It is a bit difficult to tell Kreacher no."

Regulus chuckled.

"I know this better than anyone else."

He could tell from the fond expression in Kereston's gray-blue eyes that she liked Kreacher quite a lot. Anyone who appreciated the wonderful person that Kreacher was, was stellar in his book.

"Everyone will be back from lunch soon, so I should get you into Auror Headquarters now," she said.

Suddenly Regulus could sense nervousness coming off her in waves. Though he greatly needed her help, he also understood how frightening giving such help could be in current circumstances. Placing her job on the line was certainly stressful enough but with the Dark Lord basically running the Ministry any risk was ten times more dangerous.

"Rest assured that we will not put you in danger," Regulus said, hoping to soothe the poor girl's concerns.

"I can make anyone forget if you happen to be spotted, though we shall be certain that you are not."

Kereston let out a breath and nodded.

"Yes. I know. Kreacher promised as much before I would agree to help."

She chuckled.

"It's just that everything is so insanely stressful at work these days with HIM being in control. Everything feels weird, it seems that everyone is acting unnaturally. We're all on pins and needles, that's for sure."

"I'm sure it's quite dreadful," Regulus said sympathetically.

"Kereston is a wonderful friend, and we promise to keep her safe at all cost," Kreacher said loyally.

"Okay." Kereston gave a shaky smile.

"We'd better go before someone comes along and notices me talking to myself!"

In spite of himself, Regulus chuckled.

"Just tell them the job is getting to you."

Kereston smiled dryly.

"It would be true!"

"Alright, let us get this over with," Regulus said, glad to at last be taking an action to truly redeem himself when it came to the mistakes he'd made that had affected his family.

"You get us into Auror Headquarters, then you can apparate back out while still hiding under the cloak of invisibility. You won't be seen at all."

Kereston nodded.

"Sounds good."

She drew in a deep breath, obviously to fortify herself, then reached out for the cloak. She quickly slipped under it with Regulus and Kreacher. Placing a hand on the arm of each, she apparated them into the Ministry and into Auror Headquarters.