Chapter 85

It hadn't worked. The potion was still inside of him.

"This is never going to be over," Regulus said.

The despair he heard in his own voice only made it worse.

Suddenly he needed to be alone. Not for himself but for Kreacher and Dora. They shouldn't have to be around him like this. He was no good to them...No good to anyone.

Rising to his feet, he glanced from Kreacher to Dora before dropping his gaze to the toilet. He'd never seen vampire vomit before. As it turned out, it only looked like a ton of red wine in the toilet bowl, which is, of course, just what it was. There wasn't even a hint of green.

"I'm not doing that again," he said firmly. "It tasted disgusting and obviously isn't going to work."

Though the bathroom was large, it did not feel so at present.

"Excuse me," Regulus murmured.

"I'll just..."

Slipping around Dora as Kreacher attempted to reach for the sleeve of his robe, Regulus fled. He did not stop until he was in his bedroom with the door closed quietly behind him.

Leaning against the wall, he closed his eyes, wishing he could will the oppressive misery away that threatened to engulf him. Must he live with Voldemort's potion inside of him forever? At that thought he let out a short bitter laugh. Were this to be the case, the Dark Lord had won after all. He may not have killed Regulus, but a life frequented by the self loathing and misery induced by the phosphorescent green potion provided a life sentence of torture.

"Neatly done, you soulless bastard."

Not until he spoke the words aloud, did he realize that of course Voldemort could've had no idea Regulus would become a vampire then drink his potion, thus making the misery an immortal part of him. That made it even better...Or worse depending on whose perspective one was looking from. Voldemort was probably cackling over it in hell, Regulus thought darkly. Hopefully he was too occupied with being tortured for his numerous sins against humanity to derive too much pleasure from his victory, though.

When he heard a soft yet persistent knock at the door, Regulus wasn't surprised. Sighing, he turned to open it, knowing they wouldn't go away if he did not. Dora stood with Kreacher, both wearing equally concerned expressions. Mortis sailed past their heads to land reproachfully on Regulus's shoulder. How a bird could land reproachfully was beyond Regulus, but Mortis managed it quite well nonetheless.

"There is no need to give up," Dora said gently.

"We only need the assistance of someone magical with expertise in potions or healing to pitch in on the matter."

She smiled.

"Kreacher said as much before we followed you up here, and he is a very wise elf, so you know he is right."

Kreacher gave Dora an appreciative grin.

"Miss Dora is right. She says this is probably a one and only sort of situation, so methods to correct it are completely untried," Kreacher said.

"If we could get some of that potion from the cave to study," Dora said thoughtfully and Regulus stiffened, alarm shooting through him.

Even at mention of the dread place, images of darkness so black that it was difficult for light to pierce it flooded Regulus's mind along with flickering of a phosphorescent green potion and a tar black lake of death. If he thought on the images for too long, he was certain he would hyperventilate as his mind returned to the most evil experience of his life.

"No! None of us is ever going back there. That bastard and his dark magics have done enough to us."

Dora and Kreacher exchanged a look and Dora nodded.