Chapter 47

The holidays were upon them before Regulus knew it. London was covered in a blanket of snow and the town sparkled with Christmas lights and holiday decor in every shop window he passed when out hunting. It was the first time in over fifteen years that he'd even thought about Christmas. For that long, he'd had nothing to celebrate. His first year as a vampire, he'd given Dora a gold heart necklace as another token of thanks for saving his life. After that, he was more than happy to allow the holidays to fade into the background of his awareness.

Now that he was back with Kreacher, the prospect of celebrating the holidays was far more appealing. Though he could no longer enjoy his favorite holiday foods and drinks, Kreacher could, and he would take pleasure in his friend's enjoyment. Kreacher should savor such things while he still could, for eventually he would be a vampire, and like Regulus, no longer able to ingest them. Regulus didn't need festive food and drinks to enjoy the decorations or the giving of gifts to those closest to him.

His main problem was finding a way to holiday shop for Kreacher without separating from the elf, because they didn't do that these days unless they absolutely must. The only time such was the case was when Potter came to Grimmauld, and Kreacher's presence was required by the boy. At those times Regulus waited on the edge of his seat for the elf's return. Though his time could've perhaps been better spent holiday shopping while Kreacher was away, Regulus could not bring himself to do so. He'd left once, promising to return, and irrational or not, he simply couldn't bring himself to do so again.

This presented him with a quandary until he recalled Millicent Bulstrode and her Internet!

"I need to speak with Millicent about something, so I'd like to stop in at Adler Manor," he told Kreacher as soon as he'd hunted down his evening Muggle. The lack of Death Eater dining was depressing, so he hoped to raise his spirits by buying Kreacher a ton for Christmas.

"What does Master Regulus need from Millicent Bulstrode," Kreacher asked curiously and Regulus winked.

"I reserve the right to withhold that information for the moment, my Dearest One."

Before Kreacher could reply, Regulus grasped his hand and apparated them to Adler Manor.

"Kreacher doesn't know, the elf muttered worriedly. "What is Master Regulus doing?"

Regulus grinned down at Kreacher as they waited for the door to open. "I promise it is nothing dangerous or stupid and you will know in good time."

Kreacher visibly relaxed, taking Regulus at his word. Complete trust in one another was something the two had never lost.

"Very well," the elf said grudgingly. "Kreacher will wait. Though he does not see why."

Regulus chuckled. "You will understand when all is revealed," he said. "I promise."

Suddenly he was feeling excited for Christmas.

Wolfgang opened the door then. His face broke into a pleased smile when he saw Kreacher and Regulus. "It's always nice to see the two of you," the German said, stepping back for them to enter.

"To be honest, I'm relieved that you're not Grindelwald. I don't think he likes me."

Regulus felt his brows coming up in surprise. "Truly? What's not to like?"

He wasn't attempting to inflate the ego of the half giant. He honestly found him extremely interesting and likable. He also admired the fact that he was a dark wizard standing up to Voldemort and encouraging others to do the same in a safe fashion. The aspect of safety was what made others willing to follow him, Regulus knew. Many would not pick a side due to fearing for the safety of their families, but Adler, with his promise of safety, had changed that, at least for some.