Chapter 88

At last Regulus and Kreacher were to embark on the travels they'd begun to plan nearly twenty years ago! Regulus decided to make a conscious effort not to focus on any thoughts that didn't strictly involve the present moment. He didn't want to risk falling into any depressions during this trip, even momentary ones. He owed Kreacher that much and far more. There was a letter from Severus waiting when Regulus woke at sunset. Mortis was poised outside his coffin holding the scroll in his claws and presented it as soon as Regulus rose.

He took the parchment with a murmur of thanks and began to read. Mortis trilled in greeting, conveying with mental imagery that Kreacher had slept most of the day with Regulus and was now downstairs eating.

Regulus smiled.

"Good. Did you eat yet?"

Another trill was accompanied by the image of Kreacher giving Mortis some fruit and nuts which the phoenix had devoured.

"You shall have the opportunity to enjoy some international food as well," Regulus told him and Mortis gave an elegant bob of his head in way of assent.

Regulus had just finished reading Severus's reply when Kreacher entered the room. He was already dressed for the day in a fresh tunic.

"Severus says whenever we're in the area, we can feel free to show up," Regulus reported, giving Kreacher a pleased smile.

"Good," Kreacher said.

"Dora says she is ready to depart when we are. Does Master Regulus wish to hunt first?"

Regulus nodded.

"May as well get that out of the way."

Hastily he dressed in green robes that nearly matched Kreacher's tunic. While he readied himself, Kreacher idly tidied up the bedroom.

"Kreacher doesn't like leaving it rumpled," the elf complained at Regulus's frown.

"Until we hire someone else, Kreacher will look after his home!"

Regulus sighed and shrugged, bending to tuck his comb into one of their trunks.

"Have it your way for now. You always do."

He gave Kreacher a fond if exasperated smile before kissing him swiftly. He drew away before things could grow heated. They had a lot to do today, after all.

"I'll see if Dora wishes to hunt with me. Do you wish to come along?"

Kreacher nodded.

"Kreacher will."

Mortis flew to Regulus's shoulder as they left the room. They made short work of hunting, ready to have the evening free for travel. Rather than hunting someone down via scanning minds for evil doers as was his usual way, Regulus allowed Dora to send out her mental call, seeking out those who wanted to die instead.

After that was done, they popped into Knockturn alley to grab a guide for wizarding travel that listed all the best hotels in each major city. They were back at Grimmauld in under half an hour to collect their luggage.

First they apparated with Dora to her home in Rome before heading to their own first destination, which was Greece. Regulus thought that separating from Dora would pain him more, as it was a thing he'd never done before. In light of the fact he and Kreacher were finally living their travel dream, his focus was on that instead, as it should be. Dora had embraced them both fondly, promising to meet up again soon. He knew she would be glad of her alone time yet just as glad to see them again as well, which also made it easier.

Greece was pleasantly warm, and after they got settled into their hotel, Regulus and Kreacher went for a walk on the beach. They'd chosen a hotel on the beach so they could enjoy the ocean. As it happened, elves seemed to be more of a novelty in Greece. The desk witch at the hotel cooed about how adorable Kreacher was when they signed in, and Kreacher had practically preened.