Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Broken down in agony, just tryna find a friend

Regulus and Kreacher returned home after their meeting with Slughorn. Regulus's mind was teaming with possibilities and ideas on how to proceed next. Silently he attempted to sort them out as he paced in the library.

"Is Master Regulus well," Kreacher asked at last, one hand clutching at Regulus's arm to stop his strides in mid step.

"What?" Regulus's distracted gaze fell on the elf and softened. "Yes...That is I am fine. I am just trying to sort out what should be done next. I am now wondering if the potion was intended to kill you. What if it would've killed a human and your constitution is merely stronger?"

Kreacher shrugged, expression mildly doubtful. "Very well," Regulus said, correctly reading the doubt for what it was. "What if he expected the potion to make you thirsty enough to drink that lake water? The Inferi would kill you and you would never return to tell me of what befell you. Though why the potion needs to make one so miserable before they drink the lake water is still beyond me. I want to go to the London library to do some more research," he decided suddenly. "Would you like to come along?"

"Kreacher would, but he should ready the house for Master and Mistress's return tomorrow," Kreacher said regretfully and Regulus sighed.

"Fine but I swear some day soon I am freeing you, like it or bloody not! We will acquire another elf to do such mundane chores. You're better than that," he told Kreacher firmly.

Before Kreacher could begin to grumble about someone else in his kitchen, Regulus bent swiftly and kissed him. "I'll be back in a few hours. I promise. If you need me before then, come to the library. I love you." Kreacher's arms came around him before he could apparate out, embracing him tightly.

"Kreacher loves Master Regulus too...Be careful," The elf whispered.

In the library, Regulus headed directly for the underground section where Muggles were not allowed to go. They believed it only held ancient rare historical documents, but it also held rare magic texts that only wizards with a family library card were allowed to access. Of course the Black family had a card on file so when Regulus gave his name to the small elderly wizard at the desk to the underground level, he was given a day pass in the shape of a pentagram and allowed in. He went directly to the section on ancient black magic, at once immersing himself in the wealth of information there, searching for any clues that could help to answer, exactly what Voldemort was doing that nearly killed Kreacher. So lost in his research was Regulus that he didn't notice Pandora approaching until she spoke.

"Well hi," she greeted warmly. Then before he could reply she asked, "What are you reading?"

Regulus sighed, lowering the scroll in his hands and turning to give the vampire a warm smile. "Nothing helpful, unfortunately," he said, struggling not to feel defeated. "Hi, Dora. It's good to see you! I see you found the library," he added with a grin.

Pandora peered hard at Regulus for a moment before leaning toward him and speaking quietly. "What is wrong? You...you look...Gods, Regulus! You look broken!" As she spoke, she reached out to grasp his arm with a slender hand. The intense look in her brown eyes struck Regulus where it counted...right in his emotions. Only then did he realize how much he needed support. He felt his breath catch, suddenly realizing how overwhelmed he was. He hadn't wanted to lean on Kreacher as much as he normally would have when it came to his current fears and concerns because, to his mind, the elf had already been through enough! "I don't usually care if someone isn't alright, so you'd better tell me," Pandora prompted. Her voice brought Regulus's mind back to the present with a sharp snap.

"Oh gods, Dora...I've gotten in so far over my head and it's put others I love in danger! I don't know if I even have any idea what I'm going to do about it! I've found very little here to help me either," he said, gesturing to the rows of shelves stuffed with ancient scrolls and books. Drawing his wand from the sleeve of his robe, he cast a silencing charm around the two of them. "I made sure no one will hear what I'm about to tell you," he explained.

Pandora's eyes were round with a nearly childlike awe and fascination. "I didn't see anything but a gray light coming from the wand for a second. It did all that?"

Regulus smiled. "Yes until I undo it, no one who approaches can hear a word. They will just see our mouths silently moving," he explained. "Because this floor is for magical beings only, they will be aware that I placed the charm, so our silent conversation won't be alarming. He would've thought Dora's reaction charming and sweet were there not too many concerns weighing on his mind for him to be able to appreciate her sentiment. "How did you get in here, anyway," he asked, seriously doubting her family had a library card to give her access. Dora grinned.

"I hypnotized the little Gandalf looking guy at the desk."

"Little what?"

She shook her head. "Gods, at times it's like you know nothing at all!"

Regulus chuckled. "I could say the same of you," he teased, realizing nearly guiltily that he was almost feeling better.

"So what happened," Pandora prompted and he sighed.

"Gods, Dora, I suppose it started a long time ago," he began. He told her of Voldemort and what he believed him to stand for. He explained the concept of Death Eaters and why he'd wanted to become one so badly. He then related what had happened to Kreacher. As he spoke, Pandora listened attentively, never interrupting him once, though her face wore a mild frown of disapproval nearly from the start.

"What are you going to do," she asked when he stopped speaking.

"I don't know," Regulus replied slowly. "I need to stop him somehow." His mouth hardened at the thought of the next words he spoke. "Especially after what he did to Kreacher."

"You'll get yourself killed!"

Regulus nodded. "Yes. That is certainly a risk if I don't go about things properly. I think I've decided to confide in my father. There is safety in numbers and more heads thinking on a problem have more chances of solving it."

Pandora nodded. "That sounds wise," she said, giving Regulus an encouraging smile. "I come here nearly every day. It's all so fascinating. In reading through these old scrolls, I have discovered how little I know." Regulus nodded in understanding and she continued. "I'd like it if you met me back here next Wednesday so that you can tell me how it's all turning out, because I shall worry. If you need anything before then, try sending me a magical owl." She grinned. "I'd love to see how one of those looks...Like if I can sense the magic around it."

Again her eager fascination for anything magical made Regulus smile as he nodded in agreement.

"Thanks, Dora...You've helped a great deal. Just talking has allowed me to see things a bit clearer, and now I know my next course of action." He gave her a quick, impulsive embrace and she let out a surprised chuckle.

Once back home, Regulus told Kreacher of his lack of success in the research department and his decision to tell his father everything.

"Won't Master Orion be angry," Kreacher asked, round blue eyes full of trepidation.

Regulus shrugged. "Not at us, but I should think he will be very angry indeed."