Chapter 135

Kreacher was a mix of excited and nervous when he and Regulus woke Saturday evening. Excited because he enjoyed the prospect of attempting something new and seeing what he could accomplish, but nervous that he'd fail miserably somehow and right before Regulus's eyes to make it even worse.

"I'm excited," Regulus said as they dressed.

As often was the case, of course his feelings on the matter mirrored Kreacher's. Well in this case half of Kreacher's.

"Kreacher?"

So distracted was he within himself that Kreacher hadn't even realized that he never replied to Regulus. He blinked, turning to give the one he loved most in the world a quick distracted smile.

"Oh yes, so is Kreacher...very excited."

"Is anything the matter," Regulus asked, a worried frown coming over his features as he paused to study Kreacher.

Kreacher shrugged.

"No...Just...Kreacher hopes he will be able to make something interesting come of this. He..."

Kreacher's hands desperately twisted at the hem of his bright green velvet tunic nearly of their own accord. He didn't enjoy feeling uncomfortable, and somehow talking about feeling uncomfortable was even more bloody uncomfortable!

"He isn't at all certain that he can do anything with earth magic. He is not at all certain that he can help to construct anything at Gringotts, and he is not at all certain that he won't make a mess of it instead because he does not know what he is doing."

Admitting this was indeed uncomfortable, but somehow a relief as well, because he was admitting it to Regulus who always understood him and always managed to make everything alright. At least back in the old days before it all went to hell with Voldemort, but now there was no Voldemort.

"Oh that doesn't matter. It's only an experiment, and either way we gain information," Regulus assured, bending to scoop Kreacher into his arms for a tight embrace.

"It isn't at all about success or failure. It is about discovery and no matter what happens tonight, we walk away from Gringotts with more information than we had. So what if elf magic doesn't construct things or work with earth? It just sends us in another direction of exploration. That is all."

Kreacher felt himself relaxing against Regulus at those words. Nodding he smiled, glad he'd shared his concerns. Regulus always knew the right things to say.

"Kreacher will still make Griphook lend him books for his attempt though," the elf decided.

"He still wishes to see Griphook's library."

He felt his lips curving into a satisfied smile of expectation at the very thought and Regulus chuckled.

"That's my Kreacher."

When they arrived at Gringotts, Griphook was waiting for them in the lobby as promised.

"Let's get the library over with, as you may be too tired to care after trying your hand at hollowing out stone down below," Griphook said, nodding at them in way of greeting.

Kreacher, who had begun to feel just a bit nervous again, brightened with excitement at the prospect of Griphook's library.

"Kreacher is ready," he said, not bothering in the slightest to hide his eagerness.

Griphook nodded. Let's go then."

He moved to stand nearly between Kreacher and Regulus, placing a hand on each of their forearms, and apparated them suddenly into a library.