Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Losing My Religion

Kreacher was in the lake, being dragged down to his certain death by the horrifying grip of the Inferi...So many of them, disgusting and so very strong! He knew that he was about to die. As he choked on the foul black water, his thoughts were of Dearest Master Regulus who he loved so much...But wait! Master Regulus had said to come home after he had carried out the Dark Lord's orders...And the Dark Lord was no longer here...no longer giving orders! Using his last bit of strength, Kreacher apparated home, collapsing onto the floor of the library in a wet, shuddering, choking heap of misery.

"Gods, Kreacher," Regulus said, rising as he tossed down the book he was reading. He swiftly scooped Kreacher into his arms. "What happened?"

The elf's skin was cold and wet and he was shivering hard as he sobbed. Regulus held him close in an attempt to restore his warmth. "Master Regulus, Kreacher is a bad elf," Kreacher announced through his sobs, looking up into Regulus's face with eyes full of torment. He'd never cried before, but the shame combined with the exhaustion, added to the guilt he'd begun to experience while drinking the potion. This dreadful combination caused him not to care in the least about breaking this particular rule of his. It did not matter, it could not have, in the face of the disgrace he brought upon the honorable House of Black. Only his death could pay for that, Kreacher well knew.

"Of course you aren't," Regulus objected. "What on earth are you talking about, Kreacher?" Shocked and confused, Regulus didn't know what to make of Kreacher's state, but it was quite alarming.

"Kreacher must have been a bad elf," he nearly howled through his sobs of utter misery. "Because the Dark Lord left Kreacher in the black lake of Inferi to drown!"

Regulus went completely still with shock as he felt his blood run cold. Even then, when he couldn't comprehend what Kreacher was saying, a small part of him already knew that things had just changed forever, and not for the good. "He did what," he asked, nearly unable to breathe. There had to be some mistake. "Did the Dark Lord fall into the lake too? And why were they near a lake of Inferi anyway?

Kreacher shook his head, clutching desperately at Regulus's robes as Regulus rocked him back and forth. "NO! He left Kreacher there to drown, because Kreacher must have been a bad elf. But he did everything the Dark Lord asked of him! He drank the potion even though it hurt Kreacher's insides so very badly and made him see horrible things!"

"What potion! What are you talking about, Kreacher...Start from the beginning, please," Regulus implored, struggling for a calm soothing tone through his own state of concern. The last thing he needed to do was to add to Kreacher's upset with his own. "It's alright, love...I promise we'll sort it," he assured gently, still rocking Kreacher as he spoke. He'd never even seen Kreacher shed a tear, so this had to be bad...But why? How? Kreacher would've served the Dark Lord well so what ever could've happened to inspire this? "I'm here, Love...It shall all be well."

Kreacher's arms reached to wind themselves around Regulus. "Kreacher is so glad Master Regulus isn't angry with him," he sobbed gratefully, and Regulus felt his stomach twist.

"Never...How could I be...Kreacher...Tell me what happened and I promise we'll fix it together." Breath hitching, Kreacher clung to Regulus. He began his story when he departed with the Dark Lord and ended it with his recalling Regulus's orders to return home and doing so. As he spoke, he sobbed in abject misery. "Shhh. There, there...There. We will sort this," Regulus said, but the words were empty, something to say in hopes of relaxing his friend while his mind struggled to process Kreacher's recounting. Holding Kreacher close, he continued to rock him until the elf's body finally relaxed against his own. "To think...I so badly wanted to free you, but the fact you took my words about returning home as an order saved your life," Regulus marveled, feeling suddenly awash in relieved gratitude at that particular twist of fate. Kreacher didn't speak, merely nodding wordlessly against Regulus's shoulder. Of course this fact wouldn't stop Regulus from freeing Kreacher in the future, but he was relieved for anything that had saved his friend's life nonetheless.