Chapter 51

Kreacher nearly drove himself to distraction over the next few weeks resisting the urge to peak at the stack of boxes that Master Regulus tucked away in a downstairs cupboard at Doge's. He'd commanded Kreacher to leave them alone so the elf guessed it had something to do with the upcoming holidays. If after Christmas, the boxes were still hidden away, Kreacher would surrender to his curiosity and look. Once this was decided, it was a bit easier to wait.

As the holidays approached, Kreacher busied himself with meal plans for Christmas day. This was to be his gift to Doge so he planned to outdo himself. Master Regulus insisted that Kreacher make all their favorites and stuff himself for the both of them as Master Regulus was unable to do so. It made Kreacher a little sad at times that Master Regulus could no longer enjoy his cooking that he had once so loved, but having him back again made this hardly matter. Had Master Regulus returned as an Inferius, Kreacher would've still been glad so long as the Inferius Master Regulus still loved Kreacher.

Vampires were obviously far preferred to Inferi, though, and Kreacher was even coming around to the idea of becoming one himself some day. He'd agreed at once when Master Regulus asked, but the concept had felt foreign to Kreacher and mildly unsettling. To drink blood, to be bound to a dark room and forced to sleep during the day, it wasn't something Kreacher was certain he would completely enjoy. He would still do it, though. He would do anything for Master Regulus. Watching Master Regulus hunt, bothered him less and less if it ever had at all, though. Repeatedly witnessing the excessive strength and speed Regulus had obtained as a vampire, caused Kreacher's interest to grow.

For now, though, Master Regulus wished Kreacher to regain his strength completely and enjoy food, drink and sunlight to the fullest. Kreacher tried to acquiesce, but he did not venture out into the sunlight much at all, preferring to remain with Master Regulus while he slept. If he left the beautiful vampire's side for too long, his separation anxiety would quickly grow. At times it was still nearly impossible to believe that his Master Regulus had returned to him, so Kreacher needed to frequently touch him and look at him just to reassure himself that it was all true.

With Christmas only two days away, while Kreacher did not venture out into the sun other than to shop for food, he did spend a few hours during the day in the kitchen, arranging everything to his satisfaction for the Christmas dinner. When the day finally came, Doge insisted that they wait until Regulus and Pandora were awake to eat so that they would feel a part of the festivities. This touched Kreacher's heart in a way that he found difficult to put into words, and he vowed to begin making very nice meals for Doge even more frequently from then on.

"Elphias Doge is a good man," he said gruffly, swallowing down his emotions as he rubbed fists into his eyes.

Doge grinned selfconciously.

"Hardly that. You made me such a large and delightful breakfast, that it shall certainly keep me full all day."

Kreacher smiled back.

"That was the traditional Black family Christmas breakfast. Kreacher made all of his and Master Regulus's favorites. He is happy that Elphias Doge enjoyed them as much as Kreacher."

The traditional Black family Christmas breakfast consisted of peppermint and chocolate pancakes orange slices, chopped candied nuts, sausage and eggs. Kreacher had to admit that eating it had put him into quite the festive mood. Mortis, who always appreciated Kreacher's cooking, ate two entire oranges and three pancakes. Once the meal was over and the kitchen cleaned, Kreacher retreated upstairs with the black phoenix to wait with Master Regulus while he slept.

When the sun set, Kreacher was already eagerly bending over Master Regulus, peering into his face as the room dimmed.

"Is Master Regulus awake?"