Chapter 137

"Regi! Shit, how long do you fuckers sleep?"

The complaining voice of Rabastan Lestrange and accompanying bangs on the bedroom door had Regulus momentarily confused. What? Where? Why was Rabastan here now? He blinked sleepily as everything came flooding back to him. He and Kreacher had convinced the Lestranges to stay over last night...technically this morning by the time everyone made it to bed. 12 Grimmauld had plenty of guest rooms and tripping Lestranges apparating home didn't sit easy with Regulus or Kreacher. Of course they could've apparated them home but it was very near sunrise when they finally noticed the time as they'd all gotten rather lost in conversation.

"What, Rabastan...We're just waking now," Regulus called back.

"Yeah we just woke up too. One of your elves woke us because it appears that something you've waited quite a long time for is finally available."

"What is Rabastan on about," Kreacher grumbled as he sat up and rubbed irritably at his eyes.

"I'm talking about goblin healers," Rabastan replied.

"Griphook sent a note saying they're finally back in town but not for long, and he asks if he should send them over."

"Of course he should," Kreacher snapped as he hastily rose and began tugging on clothes.

"Griphook is silly for even asking," he complained.

Regulus rose and began to dress as well, though not as quickly as Kreacher. Here it was at last. His answer...Had the lake water or potion still been working him over for all these years or was he just stuck with this forever or for as long as it took him to shake himself of whatever had gone wrong in his mind over the entire tragedy? Though he was eager to find out, he was also terrified now that the moment of truth was at last upon them as it were.

His hand was shaking as he stood before the mirror to brush his hair. Kreacher had already left the room, having no hair to brush. He was attending to Griphook's letter and that was good, because right now Regulus didn't exactly feel capable of helping him to attend. That realization only served to make his anxiety rise. He was usually capable...at least he wasn't riddled with this near crippling anxiety. This was entirely new.

"Kreacher has written Griphook that the healers may come as soon as they are able. The Lestranges are having dinner with Kereston. They slept all day along with us as it happens."

"Yes...A trip crash I believe Bellatrix calls it," Regulus said as he slowly lowered the hair brush back to the dressing table.

A glance in the mirror showed no particular anxiety on his face and somehow that was a comfort.

"I suppose we can go down and talk with the Lestranges while they eat," he added, turning to Kreacher.

Kreacher nodded, but instead of leaving the room, he moved closer and took Regulus's hand.

"Please...Kreacher wishes that Master Regulus would not be upset. We are already through the bad, and this is just clean up. If it works...if it doesn't, we'll figure something out."

His slender hand tightened on Regulus's in a reassuring squeeze.

"Remember that we aren't alone in this. We have the support of some very powerful wizards, and now that Voldemort is dead, we have no risks or dangers. It will be alright one way or the other."

At those reassuring words, Regulus let out a sigh, feeling tension in his shoulders letting go that he didn't even realize he was holding.

"Yes, Alright," he said, nodding at Kreacher.

This was ridiculous! After all this time, he shouldn't still be feeling this. He had everyone back...everyone who was alive at least and in a sense those dead ones too, if you counted the visits with Orion and Walburga they could squeeze out of Ariana and her better judgment which he did.