Chapter 38

"So...That was really Gellert Grindelwald," Regulus marveled. Albus's office door had just closed behind Sabra's son and Grindelwald, and Regulus's mind was still reeling. The fact that Albus thought Regulus and Gellert may work together was the most flattering thing that anyone had ever said about him. Grindelwald was...everything! He was everything people hoped Voldemort would be. Voldemort was a twisted inhuman monster, but Grindelwald was still here! Grindelwald was out of Nurmengard, and not only that, he looked as young as Regulus!

Albus had not indicated that Regulus should work FOR Grindelwald, but WITH Grindelwald...and Sabra's son, who was apparently quite talented in his own right. As a boy, Regulus had wanted to follow Voldemort...to be a part of making the wizarding world and the world at large a better place for wizards. Following Voldemort had truly been an honor...until it was not. Following Grindelwald would've been an honor, but instead Albus Dumbledore seemed to refer to him, Regulus, as more of an equal. That was stunning!

"Grindelwald is also working against Voldemort, then," Regulus asked.

Sabra nodded. "Well as much as he can considering a prophecy claims a mere mediocre boy is the one who must take him out."

Regulus nodded. "Yes, I heard." The doubt that he also felt on the matter was mirrored in Sabra's own expression.

"Gellert is our ace in the hole if Potter fails," she said. "For now, he is already contributing a great deal and he's only been out of Nurmengard for a day! He and my son Blaise have been busy making various enchanted items that will keep our group safe until Voldemort is dead."

"Your group," Regulus asked, curious. It appeared he'd come back during very exciting times, in spite of how dangerous they also were and he longed to know more. A glance at Kreacher showed the elf to be just as surprised as Regulus and equally as out of the loop. Of course he was. Had Kreacher known of any sort of group freeing Grindelwald, it would've been the first thing he mentioned when catching Regulus up on all he'd missed.

"The group is small but rather effective at getting things done," Albus interjected. "It is led by the man Severus mentioned earlier. The one he thought you may wish to work with...Wolfgang Adler."

"So I would be in this group," Regulus asked, trying not to sound or feel too eager. Considering the last group he'd been so very eager to join, and all the dreadful things that had come as a result of following Voldemort, the fact he was so interested in this should've felt insane. Severus was in this group, though, and WestCraven and Bulstrode, wizards he respected for their knowledge of the Dark Arts and for their lack of interest in Voldemort. And apparently Grindelwald was involved. Perhaps Regulus wouldn't allow himself to be all in just yet even with Grindelwald involved, but he was definitely interested in learning more.

"I should think so," Sabra said. "We're eager to work with anyone worthy that we can. Our goals are to keep ourselves alive and out from under Voldemort's rule until Potter manages to kill him."

"That sounds very good," Regulus said with a slight smile and Sabra smiled back.

"You should stay for dinner. Wolfgang will be here to check up on the progress Gellert and Blaise are making and you can meet him then."

"That sounds perfect," Regulus said, not bothering to hide the eager light in his eyes. "How did Grindelwald get out of Nurmengard anyway?"

"Oh that was all Wolfgang's idea, but my boy helped with an amulet that unravels magic around the wearer. Our house elf, Bramble, wore it and slid right around all the wards on Nurmengard to apparate Grindelwald right out! He could not have managed without Blaise's Amulet, though. He is a brilliant young man, and shall be a great enchanter. When I say great, I mean Merlin caliber!"

Of course Regulus would've normally believed Sabra to be just like any normal mother bragging that her son was the best and believing it to be so from the bottom of her unobjective heart. His own mother would've said the same of him were she still alive, the gods rest her soul. But considering Grindelwald seemed to be working with Blaise, perhaps Sabra's assessment of her son's abilities was correct. Grindelwald was...Well, Grindelwald! He didn't have to work with anyone if they weren't bloody brilliant!

"I just bet Wolfgang will really love the fact that you're a vampire," Sabra said.

Regulus was taken aback, but for once not in a bad way. He hadn't expected anyone to LOVE the fact he'd chosen to become a vampire. He hoped people would accept it and hopefully understand why he'd made that choice. He never thought anyone would be particularly glad, though. "Oh," he raised his brows, waiting for Sabra to clarify. Though the two hadn't known one another in school, the woman was being extremely forthcoming.

"Well he's been working to take Death Eaters out on the sly. One by one, you know. You likely have some skills in that department, and he always appreciates the help. For my part, I've been more than happy to donate a few of my untraceable poisons. Some of them are mists that you can use at a distance...They're quite brilliant really."

The woman had no problem bragging, but as in the case of her son's magical dispersing amulet, Regulus found her talent impressive so as he saw it she had the right.

"I do have skills that he may find useful, yes," Regulus said, nodding.

"I find myself very eager to meet him. He has impressed me quite a lot, for a complete stranger. Freeing Grindelwald, killing Death Eaters on the down low...He's good."

"Down low," Sabra asked, arching a confused brow.

Regulus felt himself flushing in embarrassment. "Ur...It's a Muggle phrase I keep hearing...It means in secret or on the sly."

"A Muggle phrase," Sabra asked with a shudder. "Why would you be exposing yourself to Muggle slang, Regulus?"

He sighed. "I had to live...hide among Muggles for quite a while. Since nineteen seventy nine to be precise."

"Oh you poor man," Sabra said shuddering again.

"It was...educational, not all bad," Regulus admitted.

"If you say so," Sabra said, doubt clear in her voice. A quick glance at Kreacher, whose face wore a skeptical frown, told Regulus that the elf tended to agree with Sabra.

"Before I forget, Regulus," Albus said suddenly. "What do you and Kreacher think about residing for a bit with an old friend of mine? He will keep you safe and no one would ever think to look for you there."

"The offer is quite kind, but we do have a place to stay," Regulus said. "My maker, Dora, has homes in America and Rome, either of which I'm sure Kreacher and I are free to utilize."

Albus nodded. "Yes, but you mentioned being out of touch with wizarding society when you were with your maker."

Regulus nodded. "Indeed."

"Well as you have returned to get back into things, you may want to keep wizarding company so that you can more quickly and safely receive any pertinent news. If we owl or otherwise communicate with you in Muggle territory, it could draw unwanted attention. If my friend is already receiving mail, a message or two for you would not be noticed," Albus explained.

Regulus nodded in understanding. That made sense. He glanced at Kreacher, who shrugged and nodded.

"Fine. We accept and we are grateful for your help," Regulus told Albus.

"Good," Albus said with a pleased smile. "I'm sure my friend would love the company. I'll just write and ask him, though, just to be sure." He gave a cheerful smile as he reached toward a stack of blank parchment on the corner of his desk. "He's an old school friend of mine, and he happens to owe me a favor or three,but I'm sure he'll enjoy getting to know you and Kreacher very much. He doesn't get out nearly enough these days so you'll be doing him a favor with your company."

"That would be nice," Regulus said, hoping that was the case. It would be uncomfortable staying with someone who did not want them there. If it had to be done, though, they would make the best of it until they could find more suitable arrangements. "What is your friend's name?"

"Hm," Albus asked, peering over the top of his half moon spectacles as he raised his head from the parchment on which he was hastily scribbling. "Oh it's Elphias Doge."