0-1: Lunchtime Jealousy (Vampire 1 & Spider 1)

Vampire 1:

It's time for lunch again.

The students all left the classroom except for two.

One of the two is me, Shouko Negishi.

I took out the boxed lunch my parents prepared for me and began eating by myself at my seat, I repeat, all by myself.

No, I didn't plan on eating alone actually, I want to be able to enjoy lunch with would-be friends I would make in this class as I started my high school life.

Y'know, like a normal student would?

But alas, my appearance makes that impossible, driving people away long before I even get the chance to talk to them.

My awful, ugly appearance, a 'gift' from my parents to put it lightly.

And 'Rihoko', the 'nickname' my classmates use behind my back.

Well, except for the respective 'leaders' of the boys and girls of my class, Natsume and Shinohara.

They aren't afraid of calling me Rihoko straight to my face like the others.

Sometimes I just want to hit them in their smug faces, but it's not like I am allowed to.

Everyone keeps their distance from me out of fear, disgust and all the other reasons people use to alienate somebody.

In contrast to the only other person in the classroom as of now, Wakaba, who has stunningly good looks and is already considered the 'queen of the school'.

She is eye-catchingly pretty, especially her eyes, no pun intended.

It's no surprise many boys from all classes and years have tried to talk to her but not once has she actually responded to any of them properly.

They worship her from a distance, because she won't let anyone get close to her with her unapproachable silence.

I have rarely ever heard her speak, it seems like she is the type that doesn't speak unless she feels the need to.

That is understandable, since I am not the type to go for small talk either.

However, she sets a ridiculously high bar for when she needs to talk, and even when she does, it is never a complete sentence, simply a few words or just one.

She doesn't even bother emoting or gesturing most of the time.

She usually either stares at people trying to talk to her blankly with those beautiful yet dead eyes of hers or straight up ignores them until the other person goes away.

It's like they are not even worth her attention.

When no one is trying to interact with her, she quietly works on homework.

And when she is done with homework, she reads books.

What books? No one knows, she has a black book cover to hide whatever she is reading.

And sitting in a corner at the back of the classroom on the side of the windows, it's not like anyone can peek at the contents of the book from behind or outside.

The only time she really interacts with others, if you can even call it that, is when they ask for help, usually with homework.

Why ask such an aloof person for help?

Because she has nearly perfect grades and is our top student, that's why.

Especially mathematics and science-related subjects, which she has full marks on those every single time.