1-8: First Boss & Evolution (Spider 23)

Spider 23:

Appraisal-san: < ????? ?????????? LV9 Status: Appraisal Failed >

Knqhb09t94bny9v8qg98nq!?

A giant snake just appeared and it is clearly locked onto me!

It lunges straight at me, but luckily, I manage to dodge.

It's LV9 and clearly very fast and strong, I don't stand a chance in a straight fight! Nai wa!

And since it had the element of surprise, I'm in an even worse position!

I better retreat into a small crack to escape.

Wait, no.

Inner Critic: Didn't you finally understand your fighting style, Hiiro?

Yeah! I am not running away! Nai wa!

The snake is ripping through the simple web tent I was just in.

It is strong enough to tear them but some of my thread is still on it, slowing it down.

That's it!

The snake lunges at me again, I dodge while leaving thread behind for it to crash into.

We do this dance a couple more times and vala, the snake's mouth is sealed shut by my web, you can't eat me now.

Ha ha!

Then the snake slapped me with its tail right into the wall.

Gasp!...Oww...

That really hurts!

Oh god! I...I can't do this anymore...Nai wa...

But no, the fight ain't over! I will die if I give up now!

The snake is about to body slam me.

Not on my watch! Eat this!

I leap straight at it and bite down hard.

At the same time, I am producing thread hoping it will further slow or even restrain the snake in due time.

The snake then tries to shake me off but I hold on tightly with my legs and mouth.

Come on! Just die already!

Between the wall crash, producing thread and rodeoing the snake, I can feel my strength leaving me.

No! I won't let go! Nai wa!

After what feels like forever, the snake finally drops dead from my Poison.

I level up and my wounds recover.

My mouth finally lets go of the scales I somehow managed to puncture and...

Hell yeah! I did it! I beat the snake!

Even when you're weak, you can still fight!

I feel so proud of myself for not running and actually fighting back!

If only those middle school bullies can see me now, doing something they are too privileged to ever hope to do, being actually brave in the face of death!

I start stupidly dancing around to celebrate.

Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip-

Nai wa...

Before I knew it, it had been a few 'weeks' since my first boss battle.

And the excitement has long since faded and been replaced by awkwardness.