3-H: Why is Hayashi? (Runner 4)

Runner 4:

New Father: "Why is it that he is so obsessed with raising his Skills?"

My New Father asked.

I know he has a name, just like my New Mother, but I couldn't care less.

Not that I should, considering I am planning to leave them eventually to make a name for myself.

Better not to form an emotional attachment.

However, that was a rather interesting question.

Hm...

I was an orphan in my past life.

I grew among dozens of other orphans.

And I was always known as the one who was good at sports, and the caretakers encouraged it as they wanted me to help the orphanage earn prestige by winning competitions and stuff.

I didn't mind, I liked sports anyway.

But the fact that no one else seemed to be trying as hard as me really bothered me.

So willing to be mediocre, so willing to accept defeat, wasting their lives.

Weak willed, lazy, pathetic even.

I don't want anything to do with the orphanage to be honest.

I don't want to be held back by anyone unless it provides a good challenge and opportunity to test my ability.

Like back when Kugore was absolutely trash at all sports and teaming up with him let me 1v2 everyone else.

But then he started trying to improve himself for real and I actually respected that.

He rejected his mediocre, well, actually less than mediocre status.

But he strived to be more nonetheless.

I even helped him out because he asked me for help.

Still, all of that is in the past now.

No point dwelling on anyone from my past life.

And I don't plan on dwelling on anyone unworthy of my attention here.

In a world where Stats and Skills exist, where it is easy to improve oneself.

It is stupid that the people here still prefer mediocrity.

Just pathetic.

The average person really is pathetic.

Glad I'm not one of them.