|5| Chen's Fortune

Chen's Fortune
by Kathlene Joyce M. Badong

On a sunny day in the city of Wuhan, China, there was a young girl named Chen.

Chen had a deep passion for collecting porcelain figurines, a love instilled in her by her grandmother. Among her many interests, calligraphy held a special place in her heart. She couldn't stop talking about the calligraphy set she had seen at the store recently. Unfortunately, on her birthday, Chen's parents could only afford a small and simple gift, unable to fulfill her desire for the coveted calligraphy set.

Nevertheless, Chen was a grateful child, and any gift made her happy. On her birthday, she received a brown box with a small engraving of her name at the bottom. Hesitant to open it, her mother smiled in encouragement, and inside was a pink porcelain pig with a small red ribbon on its head. "I hope you like our little gift to you. That figurine will bring you wealth, so ask him to bless you," said Chen's father.

Chen cherished the porcelain pig and decided to name it Bao, meaning "jewel" or "precious."

Every night, Chen would talk to Bao about her desire for the calligraphy set. "Oh Bao, would you please bless me with a little money? I've always wanted this calligraphy set. Having this would surely make me the happiest," she whispered before drifting to sleep.

One morning, she woke up feeling a gentle caress on her face. To her surprise, Bao was smiling and wagging his tail. He vanished into thin air, leaving behind a red envelope containing enough money for the coveted calligraphy set.

Over time, Bao became Chen's only friend, transforming magically into a real pig. Chen felt ecstatic when her wishes were granted and often forgot to thank him due to her eagerness. Bao's generosity, however, led Chen to become increasingly greedy.

One day, when Chen asked Bao for something, he refused, saddened by her change in attitude. This upset Chen, and in her frustration, she stormed out, causing Bao to fall and shatter.

Upon returning to her room and finding the shattered pieces, Chen cried out in despair. "Forgive me, Bao, for I was carried away by my desires. You are my only friend, and I can never compare that to any material thing."

Moments later, Chen awoke from her sleep. Her room was clean, and her porcelain pig was neatly placed on her study table. Her mother comforted her, and Chen, realizing it was just a bad dream, hugged her in gratitude.

The End