|73| The Magical Snake

The Magical Snake
by Rochelle Gimpaya

Once upon a time, in the grand Deoksugung palace, lived a benevolent king named Taejo.

King Taejo was renowned for his greatness and kindness within the palace. Many people visited his majestic residence, offering tokens of gratitude for the king's generosity.

The king had a son named Prince Chan-yeol, a wise and benevolent man who obediently followed the king's rules and commands. His friendly and kind-hearted nature endeared him to the people.

One day, King Taejo declared the celebration of the Chuseok festival, a time to express gratitude to their forefathers for a bountiful crop. It was announced that the queen and her daughter from Gyeongbokgung palace would join in the festivities.

Preparations buzzed within the palace as everyone readied for the grand event. The much-anticipated day arrived, and the queen of Gyeongbokgung palace, accompanied by her daughter Yera, graced the celebration.

Yera's face was lovely and fair, her eyes dark, and her hair a beautiful platinum-blonde. Chan-yeol, upon seeing Yera, was astounded by her beauty.

"Your Majesty, we are glad and grateful that you're celebrating the Chuseok festival with us," said the king to the Gyeongbokgung queen.

"My pleasure! It is an honor for us to be here," the queen responded.

While they engaged in conversation, Chan-yeol approached Yera and invited her to explore the palace with him. They ventured to the Han River, watching the sun set.

Amidst their getting-to-know-each-other moments, a magical snake appeared. Chan-yeol, ready to attack, was stopped by Yera, who explained that the snake brought healing to the sick. She shared the belief that drinking its blood, obtained by cutting off its caudal, would bring healing.

Chan-yeol trusted Yera's words, and they returned to the palace. However, upon their return, a shocking revelation unfolded.

The king lay unconscious, poisoned. Out of love for his father, Chan-yeol decided to return to the river where they first encountered the magical snake. He informed Yera, who promised to marry him upon his return.

With hope, Chan-yeol revisited the Han River, where he found the magical snake peacefully sleeping. He carefully collected its blood, believing it would heal his father and secure his marriage to Yera.

Returning to the palace, Chan-yeol assisted his father in drinking the blood. Hours passed, but Chan-yeol grew frail, and the king failed to regain consciousness. In a tragic turn of events, both succumbed to the poison.

The people learned that the queen poisoned King Taejo, and Yera deceived Chan-yeol about the magical snake, plotting to rule both Deoksugung and Gyeongbokgung palaces.

The End