|25| The Fox and The Empress

The Fox and The Empress
by Diana G. Guttierez

Long ago in Korea, during the Joseon Dynasty, lived an exquisite woman, Empress Eun Kyung. She was influential, remarkable, powerful, clever, and enchanting—the young Empress from the most powerful clan in the Kingdom of Korea.

Unknown to the kingdom, the legendary fox kingdom existed in the middle of the garden, in the secret garden of the Empress. It had a secret portal to another world.

A palanquin arrived at the palace, and the Emperor Hui Zhong of Yuan emerged. He was the rumored fiancé of the Empress and the most ardent suitor from two powerful clans.

Emperor Hui Zhong turned to the Empress near the Han River, exclaiming, "Daebi-mama!" with a smile as he entered the chamber.

"One night, while the Empress was on a break, she sneaked out to her guards and went to the garden. Playing her flute, she mesmerized a boy she had met once as a child, in the same place and at the same time.

The Empress fell asleep and woke up with a coat covering her in the cold night. To her surprise, she had used the legs of a man as her pillow. Staring at him, she realized he was a handsome man.

"What a handsome man, is he a yangban?!" she thought, but when the man opened his eyes, she punched him, calling him a "fervert."

The man, revealed to be Bon-Wha, Wangseja of the hidden Wolf realm kingdom, daebi-mama, kissed her hand.

After the meeting of the Empress and the Crown Prince of the hidden Wolf realm kingdom, they met frequently at the garden, but unfortunately, the Emperor of Yuan found out. Due to the cleverness of the Empress and the Crown Prince, the Emperor fell into a trap he himself created.

On the night of Emperor Hui Zhong's trickery, during the lantern festival, he intended to expose Bon Wha's form to the people, triggering Bon Hwa and exposing the Empress.

"Look at your dearest Empress! She's cheating on me!" he claimed.

"Mworago?! Yahhhh! How could you say I'm cheating? We are not in a relationship! Nor mutual feeling!" she retorted sarcastically.

As the crowd laughed, she continued, "Why would we have the same feelings? Since you are making a scene, I'll give it to you! Tell your Wangbi that your dirty and wicked secret in my kingdom and to my people is finally over."

Hui Zhong was about to attack her when Bon Hwa intervened, revealing his true form as a nine-tailed fox.

"It's true!"

"It's him!"

"Ohhh no!"

"The nine-tailed fox!—"

"He's a Gumiho!"

"See! I'm right! Your Empress is fooling you! Ahhhk," Bon Hwa tightened his grip on Hui Zhong's neck.

The Emperor, struggling to breathe, said, "---don't be fooled!"

"Meomchuda!" the Queen Dowager came out.

"Take off your hands from my son!" Bon Hwa lifted Hui Zhong with one hand.

The Wangbi's men were about to attack when foxes and wolves appeared, preventing them. Some foxes carried the heads of the Emperor's men. The uncle of the Emperor, the brother of Wangbi, was covered in blood and tied up.

"Now speak!" said Bon Hwa's brother.

"No! Please, no!" the Queen Dowager pleaded.

"Speak! Or—" Bon Hwa's brother gestured, and Hui Zhong's daughter came out crying.

"Choon Hee! Aniyo! Aniyo! Jebal, I will speak! Not my daughter, jebal!"

As he exposed their dirty secrets, the Empress let her people impose punishment. Bon Hwa became the king, and later, he and Eun Kyung were wed. They became the Emperor and Queen of a unified kingdom, where humans, wolves, and foxes lived in harmony.

Since Hui Zhong was dethroned, the Yuan people appointed Eun Kyung as their Empress, and Bon Hwa became their Emperor.

The End

Korean Words:

"Dangsin-ui pyehaga dochaghaessseubnida" - Your Highness has arrived.

"Daebi-mama" - Your Majesty/Queen.

"Pyeha" - Your Majesty.

"Yangban" - Nobleman/men.

"Gisaeng" - Courtesan.

"Wangseja* - Crown Prince.

"Mworago" - What?

"Wangbi" - Queen Dowager/spouse of the late king.

"Meomchuda" - Stop.

"Abeoji" - Father.

"Dowajuseyo" - Help me.

"Jebal" - Please.

"Aniyo" - No.