|133| The Poor Rich Young Man

The Poor Rich Young Man

by Ayrah C. Sabas

In the University of Masoura, there's a famous rich young man on campus named Loki. Loki is adored by many, particularly girls, despite his arrogant and bad character, due to his handsome looks and wealth. Loki always gets whatever material things he desires, simply because he has money. This is the reason why he's envied by many. However, one thing he can't seem to obtain is the woman he adores the most, Aglaia, a smart and beautiful woman inside and out.

One day, Loki asks Aglaia out. Despite her initial hesitation, considering Loki's bad reputation based on what her friends say, she agrees to get to know him herself, giving Loki the benefit of the doubt. However, during dinner at a restaurant, an accident occurs where the waiter, Carys, accidentally spills wine on Aglaia's dress. Loki becomes furious, shouting at Carys and using inappropriate language. Aglaia tries to diffuse the situation, assuring Carys it's just an accident. However, Loki's continued embarrassment of Carys in front of everyone annoys Aglaia. She decides to leave Loki alone in the restaurant, telling him to never talk to her again. Before leaving, Aglaia apologizes to Carys for Loki's behavior.

Days pass, and Loki ignores Aglaia, assuming she will eventually chase him, given his high opinion of himself

Days pass, and Loki ignores Aglaia, assuming she will eventually chase him, given his high opinion of himself. However, Aglaia doesn't chase him, instead, she develops a strong dislike for him after the restaurant incident. Months later, Aglaia and Carys meet again at the University of Masoura's canteen. It turns out Carys has transferred to the same school. Since Carys is new and doesn't know anyone except Aglaia, she offers to be friends with him. The two become close, and Aglaia learns about Carys's family and financial problems, which led him to transfer schools and work part-time to support his family and education.

Aglaia and Carys end up dating, and she admires his kind-heartedness and hardworking nature. One day, Loki hears a rumor about Aglaia and Carys dating but doesn't believe it until he sees them together. Unable to accept it, he confronts Aglaia in front of Carys, belittling him and boasting about his material wealth. Aglaia, disgusted by Loki's words, responds, "You may be able to buy all the material possessions and properties you want with your money, but they are all worthless because you cannot buy humility and kindness, which are clearly what you lack and are desperately needed."

The end