|90| A Good Heart

A Good Heart
by Shancai Cochesa

Amidst the wintry embrace of Mount Tai, a small cottage housed an elderly couple, Weitao and Chunhua. Struggling with poverty, they decided to sell their old clothes in the village, hoping to make ends meet during the harsh winter. Weitao, laden with clothes, embarked on the journey while Chunhua stayed behind, managing their humble abode.

On his way to the village, Weitao encountered a temple adorned with two majestic foo dogs at its entrance. The temple was said to be the dwelling place of a beautiful Goddess, capable of granting wishes to those who prayed sincerely. Intrigued, Weitao decided to seek the divine intervention of the Goddess.

As he approached the temple, he noticed that the foo dogs' heads were covered with a layer of snow. Moved by respect, Weitao brushed off the snow, revealing the stone guardians beneath. He bowed in reverence before entering the temple, where he knelt down and earnestly prayed to the beautiful Goddess.

After completing his prayer, Weitao exited the temple with a sense of respect lingering in his heart. However, when he reached the village, he found that no one was interested in purchasing his old clothes. Despite his efforts lasting until dawn, Weitao remained unsuccessful. It was then that a hat seller approached him, also struggling to sell his products.

Observing the hat seller's tattered shirt in the cold weather, Weitao suggested a trade of products. The hat seller, agreeing to the proposition, exchanged goods, and the two parted ways, each hoping for better luck.

As Weitao made his way back home, he once again passed by the temple. To his surprise, the foo dogs' heads were covered with snow once more. He used the hats obtained from the trade to shield the stone guardians' heads, bowing in respect before continuing his journey. Upon reaching home, Weitao shared his day's experiences with Chunhua, who surprisingly approved of the barter.

Later that night, the elderly couple was awakened by the sound of barking. Curious, they peered outside and were startled by a loud crash in front of their house. Opening the door, they were astounded to find an abundance of food scattered around their doorstep.

It was a miraculous sight—enough food to sustain them through the winter. As they stepped outside, the couple witnessed the beautiful Goddess, accompanied by the joyous foo dogs, returning to the temple. Overwhelmed with gratitude, Weitao and Chunhua bowed to show their respect.

The Goddess, acknowledging Weitao's pure heart, granted his wish, ensuring that their home would be filled with plenty. In gratitude, the old couple cooked a feast from the newfound provisions, placing offerings like rice balls and dumplings in front of the temple to express their heartfelt thanks to the benevolent Goddess and the faithful foo dogs.

The End