|35| Bittersweet Love

Bittersweet Love
by Carla Ellaine Carada

The tale unfolds in the distant land of Yoshimo, Kansai, Japan, where the lives of Ichika and Haru Yoshimi are graced by the birth of their daughter, Sakura Yoshimi. From a young age, Sakura emanates a natural, enchanting fragrance that captivates all who encounter it, drawing admirers from the town. Among them, one boy, Akohito Hayashi, captures Sakura's heart.

Their love story blossoms, and the couple finds joy in creating cherished memories together in their backyard. However, the narrative takes a poignant turn when Japan declares the conscription of young men for an impending war. Reluctantly, Sakura bids farewell to her beloved husband, unaware that it would be their final embrace.

Time unfolds, and Sakura, heartbroken and desolate, lets go of herself. Her once sweet fragrance fades into a bittersweet scent, embodying her shattered heart. Overwhelmed by despair, Sakura chooses to end her life in the very backyard where they once reveled in happiness.

A decade later, Akohito returns to the land he left behind. The search for Sakura leads him to their backyard, where a poignant bittersweet fragrance lingers. There, beneath a tall tree adorned with pink and white blossoms, he feels an ethereal connection.

As Akohito touches the tree, the petals cascade around him, a tender embrace reminiscent of his beloved wife. In that moment, he christens the tree "Sakura," paying homage to the Cherry Blossom trees.

The ephemeral beauty of the cherry blossoms mirrors the brevity of their love, a love that, although short, remains eternally sweet. The narrative concludes, leaving behind the enduring aroma of bittersweet cherry blossoms, a lingering testament to the love that once blossomed in Yoshimo.

The End