|42| The Enchanting Pen

The Enchanting Pen
by Gomez, Jorenz Vince F.

There was a guy named Kairi living in modern Tokyo who worked for a big company. He was a workaholic, with droopy eyes, dark circles underneath, and a paleness that manifested even under direct sunlight. His family, concerned about his well-being, constantly reminded him to take a break, but he remained unyielding. Even on the most hectic days, he prioritized work, considering it the only path to success, and breaks a hindrance to his goals.

One day, after work, feeling extremely tired, Kairi decided to get a cup of coffee at the café across the street. Putting on his earphones and drowning in music, he traversed the pedestrian street with other busy Tokyo residents. During this walk, he noticed an enchanting fountain pen with a crane picture lying on the ground. Picking it up, he was oblivious to the shouts around him, and as he turned back towards the road, a speeding car approached.

The world turned black...

After a few hours, Kairi awoke with a slight headache, lying on a haystack in an unfamiliar alley, wearing traditional Japanese clothing. Dumbfounded by his surroundings—rough roads and unpainted houses—he encountered a beautiful girl named Tsukasa. Confused and desperate to return to his office, Kairi was introduced to Tsukasa's father, Keiichiro, the chief of the village. As they sensed his workaholic nature, Tsukasa and Keiichiro devised a plan to help Kairi overcome his obsession with work.

Tsukasa began touring him around the village, showcasing the villagers and their work. While Kairi resisted, Tsukasa emphasized the importance of balancing work with self-care. Although resistant at first, Kairi gradually understood the wisdom in their words.

When Tsukasa handed Kairi a pen, he recognized it as the same pen from his apparent dream. As the week progressed, Kairi faced a workload due by the end of the week. Alone in completing the tasks, he grew frustrated, but his realization about life's priorities began to sink in.

By the end of the week, all tasks were completed just in time for the Kanda Matsuri festival. Kairi put his worries aside, enjoyed the festivities, and even danced. However, as they returned home, strange noises disrupted the village, and bandits attacked, wreaking havoc. Kairi, along with the villagers, fought to defend the village.

In the midst of the chaos, Kairi sacrificed himself to save Keiichiro, getting slashed by a bandit's katana. As he lay dying, he expressed gratitude for the lessons he learned. Tsukasa mourned Kairi's sacrifice, and he wished her happiness from beyond.

Suddenly, beeps were heard, and Kairi awoke in a hospital, realizing he was in the modern world. A doctor, resembling Tsukasa, informed him he had been in a coma for three months after being hit by a car. The pen from his apparent dream lay on the side table. Overwhelmed by the experience, Kairi cried, reflecting on the lessons learned during his coma.

From that day onward, Kairi committed to living life with less stress and overworking. He carried the pen with him as a reminder of the lessons from his dream, vowing to make Tsukasa and Keiichiro proud.

The End