|125| The Open Secret Story

The Open Secret Story

by Jemilla De Jesus

A young woman, innocent and flawless, lived in the coastal town of North Carolina with the hope that one day, she would find love. One day, James, a tourist, decided to spend his summer vacation at Barkley Cove, a paradise that is located on the coast, to disconnect and unwind from the difficulties in his relationship with Betty. 

Augustine could only find solace in the woods, where she could be left alone until she saw a snake approaching a guy lounging on the grass. James is both astonished and amazed when Augustine uses her bow and arrow to kill the snake. 

On that day, James and Augustine get along and spend some alone time in the woods getting to know one another. Augustine fell in love with James after spending time with him while he was on a two-week staycation at Barkley Cove.

She felt that James was the man she would spend the rest of her life with since he was the only man in her small town who gave her any attention and spent time with her because her father forbade the men in their town from courting her. James leaves for his hometown but makes a promise to Augustine to return every weekend as they have already expressed their desire for one another through sweet gestures and romantic deeds.

On a Saturday morning, James found Augustine waiting for him in the woods. "We both know that we want each other, why would you start to live here and legalize our relationship?" she admitted.

"What about your dad?"-James

"As long as you're here with me, we can keep it a secret relationship if you're terrified of my father"-Augustine

"As much as I would like to be with you, you are aware that I have a life in my hometown. Also, I'll come to see you every weekend" James explained.

James and Augustine were out for a walk near the coastline when he noticed his and her fiancé's close friend, as a result, he immediately let go of Augustine's hands and moved away from her, leaving Augustine perplexed. 

"Just wait here I'll be back once I speak with my friend, all right?" As he rushed to his pal, James spoke nervously.

When James discovered that his and her fiancé's close friend had moved out of town, he informed Augustine that they would limit their meetings and meet exclusively at midnights in the woods. Augustine thought James was seriously concerned about her father's demands on her so she agreed with him. 

When Augustine went for a walk alone the next morning, she was surrounded by judgmental stares as if she had committed a crime, so she ran back home and was startled to see her father waiting for her at the front door. Her father slapped her across the face and warned her she can not go outside for months. After hearing her father call her a "scandalous mistress" and a disgrace to his father, Augustine sobbed in her room. 

James arrived after nightfall, and he overheard the two ladies talking about a man having an illicit affair with Augustine. James was unaware that his friend had seen the two of them yesterday and had unintentionally spread the rumor around that town by stating, "Is it my friend having a mistress beside him."

Augustine knew that James would return at midnight, but she is torn between staying in her room and starting to forget how James had damaged her or sneaking out of the house after her father had been asleep to sneak up on James and ask him the questions that keep messing up into her mind.

She waits until her father is asleep before rushing into the woods and seeing James sitting by the lake. "How could you give your truth one single time but lie and lie to me a million times?" Augustine slapped James in the face. James sobbed, "Augustine, I'm sorry."

Augustine exclaims with tears in her eyes, "I didn't know better and you take advantage of my innocence but your love is a secret I'm hoping, dreaming, and dying to keep."

"You know I loved you, but I.. I'm lost as well, and I couldn't withstand how I could simply return to my hometown and forget the woman who gave me a second chance to live a worthy life. "-James Augustine pleaded, "Then choose and lose the one."

"Despite our difficulties as a couple and how much I want to be with you, I'm about to marry Betty. I can't stay here with you Augustine." James cried.

"How could you...I am now nothing but a ruined girl in this little town. But if your marriage with Betty doesn't work out, you know well for you, I would ruin myself a million little times." Augustine sobbed.

Betty went to Barkley Cove, where her friend and the residents told her where Augustine and James met. Betty saw James with his arms around Augustine. It is an open secret that James has been cheating on Betty, and so an open secret to the town that he had a summer love affair with Augustine.

The End