|17| Dream Chaser

Dream Chaser
by Deangkinay, Bea L.

In a small neighborhood in Namyangju, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea, lived a couple named Ha-joon and Ji-woo who were celebrating their son's first birthday. Following the Korean tradition, they prepared an event called Doljabi, the most anticipated part of the ceremony.

During Doljabi, various items, usually 6–8, representing a career or a lifestyle, are placed in front of the child. Whichever they pick will be their future. Hee-seung, the boy's name, crawled, and everyone cheered for him.

After a few crawls, he stopped and picked up the bow and arrow, symbolizing that he would have a military career.

From that day until he grew up, his parents consistently reminded him of what happened during the ceremony, expressing their desire for him to comply with the result of the Doljabi, believing it was meant to be. Both of his parents were descendants of the Yangban, a part of the traditional ruling class in Korea, mainly composed of highly educated civil servants and military officers. Additionally, Ha-joon, his father, also sustained a military career for the same reason.

However, even with constant persuasion, Hee-seung did not want to pursue that path. Instead, he aspired to become a teacher. An argument ensued, leading to Hee-seung being evicted from their house. He sought refuge with his older friend Jae-yun, who had his own home but lived with his sister. Hee-seung shared his story, expressing his determination to successfully become a teacher.

Coincidentally, Ji-eun, Jae-yun's sister, harbored the same dream, and the two of them studied together. Despite facing numerous difficulties and supporting himself during those times, Hee-seung excelled in their studies, especially with the help of his two friends. Hee-seung and Ji-eun completed their education, passed the test to become teachers, and secured a job at the school they had always wanted to teach.

Over the years spent together, Hee-seung and Ji-eun developed feelings for each other. Everything went well until Hee-seung received a call from home, urging him to return and reconcile with his parents. Hesitant but encouraged by Ji-eun, he went the next day with Jae-yun and Ji-eun by his side.

His mother greeted him with a tight hug, her attempts to apologize drowned in sobs due to her longing for her son. After calming down, they went inside. His father, sitting on the couch, teared up when their eyes met. Apologies and regrets were exchanged, and they hugged it out. Hee-seung introduced the siblings to his parents, catching up on the years that had passed.

He revealed that he had fulfilled his dream of becoming a teacher. His parents smiled, expressing their pride in him for continuing to pursue his dreams despite their initial resistance. Hee-seung moved back home to care for his parents. His bond with the siblings, especially Ji-eun, strengthened, and they all lived happily ever after.

The End