|105| "Bittersweet Love"

Bittersweet Love

by Bea Deangkinay

Kono is a social butterfly who lives in a small town in O'ahu, an island in Hawaii...

She knows everyone in their neighborhood except those who live on the far corner of their street. From when she was a kid, a lot of people have warned her about going near that house. It is said to have been built decades ago, and was being occupied but no one has ever seen a single person come in or out of the household. Kono just followed what she was told to, but as time went by, her curiosity grew more and more.

One night, while she was on her way home, she decided to stop by the old house and knocked multiple times, however, no one answered. She tried to call and get the attention of whoever was in the house, yet still she did not receive any reply.

Kono just gave up and decided to go thinking that the house might have been abandoned, until she heard a sound of something breaking from the inside. She knocked again and asked if anyone was alright but there was still no response.

Determined to find out the secret the house holds, she continued to visit and even bring different foods and gifts. This went on for months until she realized that she was putting so much effort into something that does not yield any result.

On the last night that she planned to visit, she sat on the front porch and expressed how she would have loved to know the person behind the closed doors.

After a few minutes, the door slowly opened and there she saw a man, close to her age, all dressed in black, looking shyly at her. She immediately stood up and introduced herself. The boy, who's name was Adam, did the same and reluctantly invited her to come in.

Kono, being the person that she is, started the conversation and made the situation less awkward. After having Adam open up, there was never a night that Kono did not visit him.

They never seem to get tired of being together and would always hang out for hours, even if they are only inside of the old house every time. Eventually, they grew fond of each other and fell in love.

Kono confessed her feelings for him and Adam told her that he feels the same way. However, he told her that they should not be together. Feeling sad and confused, Kono asked why and there Adam revealed all the secrets Kono was eager to unveil before. Adam was cursed by a mysterious creature as a punishment for a sin he did before.

The rumor was true, the house was built decades ago, and Adam lived through all those years inside as the creature wanted him to live forever and witness everyone he loves be gone. He did not want to be with Kono and see her grow old and leave him so he decided to push her away. Kono did not agree but after some time agreed due to Adam's persuasion. They exchanged their goodbyes and held each other, neither wanting to let go. And from then on, the doors of the old house became closed forever.

The End